Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon fishing adventure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted
My son goes off to college next week. He wants to plan a trip to the Amazon to fish for the big species: Arapaima, the giant catfish, wolf fish, paku, etc. Peacock bass would be a bonus. I am starting to do my research. Any and all suggestions would be great. As usual on AR. the good, the bad and the ugly about any outfitter would be appreciated. Best month to go? House boat or Lodge etc. I am finding info on Bolivia, Brazil, Suriname and it is hard to find good feed back. Any outfitter that has a turn key and provides on the tackle would be a bonus. If the thread needs to be moved to another section, then I understand.

Thanks to all,

Greg Bauer

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 234 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A number of AR members have fished with Acute Angling and had good results. I was part of a 10 man group that went in January of 2018. We had a blast, mjines, MikeBurke, Tim Herald, BEGNO among others were on that adventure. Hell of a lot of fun for the money....

Give Tim Herald at WTA a shout and he can fill you in on details.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might get better information from the Fishing section.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Might want to talk with Steve Ahrenberg. He’s fished with Acute Angling a number of times.

Posts: 3828 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Active angling - multi species trip. Best trip to the wild amazon.

You will not catch a arapaima.

If you want to catch a arapaima - you need to go to Thailand and fish bkk amazon lake.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
My son goes off to college next week. He wants to plan a trip to the Amazon to fish for the big species: Arapaima, the giant catfish, wolf fish, paku, etc. Peacock bass would be a bonus. I am starting to do my research. Any and all suggestions would be great. As usual on AR. the good, the bad and the ugly about any outfitter would be appreciated. Best month to go? House boat or Lodge etc. I am finding info on Bolivia, Brazil, Suriname and it is hard to find good feed back. Any outfitter that has a turn key and provides on the tackle would be a bonus. If the thread needs to be moved to another section, then I understand.

Thanks to all,

Greg Bauer

Hi Greg

As others have mentioned, Acute Angling offers a unique and authentic trip into the Amazon basin. The waters mentioned are in the Guiana Shield watershed. They do all eventually drain into the Amazon proper.

The "Variety species trip" has; Redtail Catfish up to world record size (120's) I have personally caught one at 111#. Piraiba up to 400#. I have personally caught one of 310#. Jundia catfish, the world record was caught here, Sorubim catfish, Barba Chata catfish and a few Jau. I think the Piraiba fishing is the finest in the world, no exceptions.

I have caught up to 6 in one day.

The Peacocks there are a different, They are a very colorful sub-species that only live in high-gradient, fast flowing rivers. They are common and you could catch 10-20 a day if you focused on them. But, it's NOT a Peacock destination.

Other species, Payara (vampire fish) GIANT Black Pirahna, world record is from here and almost 10#'s. Triarao or wolf fish up to 30#, very plentiful.

Mike is partially correct in the Arapaima. This fishery has none. But, Paul offers a one day add on from Manaus, where he guarantee's your success. They are wild and not in a pond.

The comfortable cabins are all air condition for a great night sleep, in suite toilets and heated showers. NO BUGS

If you go to acuteangling.com have a look at their picture gallery. It will fill in a lot of blanks for you.

If you would like more info, PM me and I would be happy to chat further.

Regards,

Steve Ahrenberg

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I think I will be contacting acute angling. It looks like they supply tackle as well, which many don't seem to do so. It would certainly make it easier traveling.

Greg Bauer

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 234 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
And their tackle is good quality, too. Another vote for Acute Angling. My wife, who had never fished in her life, went with me, had a blast, and caught a lot fish of at least 6-7 species.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Greg, when are you thinking of going? I will be at Acute starting 19 October.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Probably January 2021 when my son is on college break next year.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
Allen,

Probably January 2021 when my son is on college break next year.

You need to begin the process. Their spots fill pretty far out. FWIW, January is prime.

Try to go the week directly after Christmas/New Years. They typically have no anglers then. A
week of rest for the fish is a good thing.

It makes no difference to the Catfishes but the Peacocks get a week of rest.

This is all based on the variety species trip.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good information. Thank you.
$5750 per person for 7 days. Any other costs I should expect?

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just tips and bit for sightseeing in Manaus if you go a day early ( highly recommended).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Some terminal tackle. Their locally make jigs are very good - $5 or something.

I would buy a gopro for sure. It is spectacular country when you traveling by boat.

Full sun protection clothes (Offshore Fishing stuff works perfectly) and good costa quality sunglasses.

Plus what Dr. Dollar said.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Ask them about their terminal rigs. (Leaders)

They used to use some obsolete piano wire, hand twisted lame rigs. I developed an efficient, SS wire, very flexible rigs.

I am planning on selling them commercially at some point. I have a site started.

amazongiants.com

I'm not offering them for sale. However if you want a handful to take, I'll just send you some. They make a huge difference in the catch ratio.

Paul was suppose to adopt them in that camp, not sure if they did.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I returned yesterday from a very successful trip with Acute Angling. Highly recommend.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote