New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Michigan Fly Fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone fished streams in northern Michigan for trout? Any info would be appreciated. I have never been there but people have told me its some good trout fishing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clay,

lots of rivers in northern Michigan, and lots of good to great fishing. The Au Sable and Manistee near Grayling, Sturgeon near Gaylord, Pere Marquette near Baldwin, the Muskegon, the pigeon, the Black, Maple, Boardman and a host of tohers. And that's just the northern half of the lower peninsula.
In the Upper peninsula there's two-hearted, Fox, east branch of the Fox, Escanaba, Carp in Marquette County and Carp In Porcupine Mtn Sate park, Presque Ilse, Cooks Run, Ontonagon, Montreal and the list goes on and on and on.

Knowiung when you would consider coming would narrow the lists down. Not a lot, but some.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to come in early June

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clyman, we've been having very warm temps of late. In early june come prepared with Grey Drakes and Brown Drakes, sizes 8-12 depending how you tie them or buy them. There will certainly be some caddis on the water, No. 10-12 elk hair should work well. If you like throwing streamers for big fish the mantra is "go big or go home." Circus peanuts, cougars, krakens-- big and ugly things.
You might luck into a stone fly hatch as well, browns and blacks, and I've already seen hoppers, smaller guys, size 10 or so.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
906-632-1947

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Are there Steelhead as well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG,
the last spring steelhead run of the year is in the St. Marys, the river that connects Superior to Huron, and the one right outside my home.That run ends by mid June, with the warm weather I expect it to end a week or so sooner. The St. Joe, in extremem SW mich does get a a summer run of skaminia that can be fabulous.

Right now, in the St. marys, we are seeing things a full two weeks ahead of schedule. There are already Atlantic salmon behind the powerhouse, and in another week there will be plenty to throw to in the rapids. Normally this doesn't happen until father's day.

The atlantics right now prefer huge sculpin patterns, Muddlers, in like size 2 or 4, 2xtra long-- something that measures a good 2 i/2 inches to four inches. They are sitting at the bottom of pools eating the sculpins that are there eating the steelhead eggs that didn't find a purchase.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
906-632-1947

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! I love fly fishing for steelhead and salmon, and have just purchased a 7 wgt 11' Sage Z-Axis switch rod to complement my Sage TCX steelhead rod. Big Grin