Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow Fish in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I always like to combine some fishing with my African safaris. I always hunt in Zimbabwe, and I have been able to fish for tigerfish in the Zambesi River as well as fly fish for rainbow trout in Zimbabwe's eastern highlands. On my upcoming September hunt, I have the opportunity to fly fish for yellow fish in South Africa. Have any of you ever done this kind of fly fishing before? If so, I would be interested in your insights and any stories you could tell.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the following website...

www.tourettefishing.com

The yellowfish in Lesotho look phenomenal

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but have likely got 50 plus days of yellows under my rod ! Small mouth in rivers and also Sterkies.

What info are you looking for ?

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Charlie - basically looking for best time of year to fish for them, gear to bring etc. Most of what I have read suggests 5wt rods, but that seems a bit light to me based on how big these fish get. Do I need to bring waders etc, or is this fishing from the bank or a boat?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote