THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  Fishing    Summer AK, BC, Yukon drive trip #7 flyrod with floating line ok?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer AK, BC, Yukon drive trip #7 flyrod with floating line ok?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am thinking about driving up the ALCAN this summer.

I fished a bit last time, but had the kids with me and really only fished in a couple rivers in BC and the Yukon with spoons. Caught up a couple salmon and a few big rainbows, but nothing crazy.

I am going to be alone if I do the trip.

What would you pack for fishing gear?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Good question. Never been up there, so I have no clue what I would need. So, I’d likely have a 5 weight, a 8 weight, and maybe even a 9. Never show up unprepared. Wink

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
BBW,

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner.

I would say yes to the 7 weight. I’ve fished several places in BC & southeast Alaska for trout and steelhead with that in the summer.

Years back a well known stealhead fly fisher in the northwest used a 7 wt and a dry line all year round. Obviously you just have to pick your water a little more carefully.

Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7-8 weight rod unless you think you will get into some King (chinook) salmon fishing then I would move to a 10 weight and a reel with a good drag.
Medium sized rainbows and grayling - 4 weight.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Years back a well known stealhead fly fisher in the northwest used a 7 wt and a dry line all year round.

Jim Teeny?