Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego Long Range Adventure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
MY son just returned from working as a deck hand on his first truly long trip on the San Diego long range fleet. They departed on October 1st, for a 14 day trip. They started off by going very far out, to drive around the wesstern edge of Tropical Storm Olaf, he guessed they were well over 200 miles offshore.

Anyway, they spent the first 4 days at Hurricane Bank, which is about 350 miles west of Cabo San Lucas. This was his first trip working on really big fish. They came back with 12 yellowfin over 200 pounds and another 65 that were over 100. Of course, these are all caught 'stand up' by the anglers.

Danny told me the highlight of the trip for him was free gaffing a yellowfin that went about 220 pounds. The angler who had the fish on had made one final pull, trying to bring the fish up to gaff range. As the fish neared, the line snapped (130 pound test!) and as the fish began to dive, Danny said he reached as far as he could with one hand on the gaff, and sank it into the tuna's back. He said the fish went berzk and beat the crap out of him while it was trying to dive, and he was trying to not let go of the gaff. Another angler dropped his rod and brought a 2nd gaff, and they finally got the fish next to the boat where a 3rd gaff was placed and they then were able to pull the big fish over the rail. He said that fish really beat him up, but he wasn't going to let go of that gaff for anything.

He said the fisherman was very grateful that he saved a fish of a lifetime. They docked this morning in San Diego, and he said they had about 50 wahoo & 50 dorado, about 150 or so yellowfin and a nice catch of yellowtail. All in all, a good trip with some huge fish caught.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
what boat was he on? when i lived in San Diego years ago, i used to do a lot of long range fishing on the Qualifier, Red Rooster and Polaris Supreme. haven't been in 6-7 years but i still fondly remember being pinned to the rail by 200 plus lb. yellowfin!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
He is working on the Qualifier 105.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
always a damn good boat with a damn good crew. apparently it still is. i am seriously considering a long range trip next Oct instead of going to Africa and the 105 is on my short list of boats.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote