New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL Fishing Charter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone able to recommend a good fishing charter for dolphin fishing in FL?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Try Captain Jim Sharpe of Sea Boots. He is a recognized dolphin fishing expert. He fishes out of the lower keys. www.seaboots.com

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what part of Florida.

But, with my pick of the whole state, this is the guy I'd do it with - http://www.finestkindcharter.com/. Out of Destin, the self-styled "World's Luckiest Fishing Village".

My wife and I've been using him since about the late 70s.

In '84 we each caught amberjacks that went to 85ish and the local paper came down and did a story. We still have the pic.

She once caught a bull dolphin on his boat that I'd had mounted, but it got off at the railing. It was at least 45ish.

Anyway, with dolphin (so called mahi-mahi) you're talking open ocean trolling. For that a whole day trip is best. Best bet is patrolling those kelp lines 50 miles out. Out there you also snag kings, wahoo and even a bill-whacker.

We used to go in late Summer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in Ft Lauderdale I'd recommend the Lady Pamela boats. I've had good luck with them.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Jim Sharpe. My dad fished with him a few times in the early 1980s and still talks about him.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you going...???
Florida is a pretty big state when you consider the distance from Destin to Key West.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
actually it is a HUGE state with probably a 1000 miles of coastline.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13121 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote