Find
Notify
Tools

Zihuatanejo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Just back from Zihuatanejo. Fishing was a bit slow, ocean is very warm. Caught a couple of nice sailfish. Others in the group caught a few roosterfish too. No marlin or dorado, but a number of bonito, needlefish and jacks. If and when I make a return trip will probably look at April as opposed to August. Looked for, but did not see, either Andy or Red.

Mike

Posts: 21205 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice fish mike!

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trip.

I hope we get more fishing reports and intel on this web site.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks really nice Mike. Good job !

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to AR Larry. I thought you declared that you were done posting. Did you notice, no one missed you while you were gone. Maybe I should post the pictures of the fish in the boat with half their stomachs out . . . maybe you did not realize that sometimes the "catch" part makes the "release" part moot.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting your anger management issues under control.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I will now retire back to to my absence status here on AR . . .

I sort of doubt that, seems like the occasional rant helps you deal with anger and frustration issues. I sincerely hope that helps.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
More vitriol? Maybe you need to go fishing and relax?

. . . just for you bro . . . I would not want you to have a stroke . . .

EDITED: I see that Larry Sellers finally realized that his ranting and raving posts above were completely unfounded, off base and accordingly deleted his posts. Not altogether surprising but certainly a bit infantile . . . an apology would have been the adult way to handle the situation. I truly do wish him the best in trying to come to grips with the serious anger management issues he seems to be having. For goodness sakes, this is, after all, just an Internet blog.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you didn't happen to run into Andy Dufresne and Ellis Redding while you were there by any chance? Nice fish, by the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Did you guys eat any of the sailfish?? I'm curious about the taste.

Over the past 10 years, I've been down to Guatemala 4 times to fish, mainly for sails. My son and I went 2 weeks ago during Spring Break. The sailfish action was awesome. We landed 79 sailfish and 1 blue marlin in 2 days. In Guatemala, sailfish and marlin are catch and release by law, so I've never had the chance to give sailfish a try. We did eat some freshly caught Dorado.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Mike, you didn't happen to run into Andy Dufresne and Ellis Redding while you were there by any chance? Nice fish, by the way.

Wouldn't Red be about 110 years old??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
113, but who's counting.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Mike,

Did you guys eat any of the sailfish?? I'm curious about the taste.

Over the past 10 years, I've been down to Guatemala 4 times to fish, mainly for sails. My son and I went 2 weeks ago during Spring Break. The sailfish action was awesome. We landed 79 sailfish and 1 blue marlin in 2 days. In Guatemala, sailfish and marlin are catch and release by law, so I've never had the chance to give sailfish a try. We did eat some freshly caught Dorado.

same policy in Costa Rica- and most other places south of the border. Mexico might eventually come to realize that billfish are not an inexhaustible resource, although I doubt it. And dorado are superb fried or on the grill....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've eaten a lot of sailfish, kind of oily like amberjacks. Not bad but not my preference; I'm more of a snapper, grouper type. The sails are very good smoked which is what we do with them when we have to bring one home. In FL we're allowed one per day to keep but most folks release them unless dead at the boat or unable to be resuscitated. Like MJines reported they often regurgitate their stomach during the fight but evidently will swallow it again when released. On two occasions we've caught a sail which we had already tagged earlier in the day and both had swallowed the stomach back down.