THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Skinny on Idaho's Clearwater?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I've seen some photos of vividly colored, magnum sized steelhead that were said to come out of the South Fork of Idaho's Clearwater River.

I want one! When is the best time to go and can you recommend a competent guide? I'd prefer fly fishing, but my skills are mediocre.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live 7 miles from the waters edge and I cannot name a guide on the South Fork. It is combat fishing. You will have a hard time finding a place to park let alone cast. I have not bothered with it in 5 years. It is just no fun.

If you want a nice B run steelhead than you need to fish the main clearwater above Lewiston, Idaho. There are many guides for fly or regular based in the Lewiston or Orofino Idaho area. Give it a search. They will tell you the best time which for fly fishing has been at least for me, early September on the main Clearwater. The main river is good from then on through early December in my experience and the South Fork (same fish) gets good numbers in february and March (right now) but they are now getting softer and starting to set on the redds where they are endlessly harrassed until the close of the season by the above mentioned idiots (I mean fishermen).

You can also fish the A run on the salmon (smaller fish).

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive fished and caught steelhead on the clearwater , from shore and my freinds boat.

Generaly alot of hours fishing required to land one.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's why they say steelhead is a fish of a thousand casts.