New
Find
Notify
Tools

fishing in argentina - what to bring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
am going to argentina in late march for red stag & there is a good trout river next to camp, and we're going duck hunting and fish for dorado - I know enuf to bring a spinning and fly outfits but what kind of flies and lures for dorado??

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We fished for dorado with provided gear. The fishing guides used live bait that looked like a 10 inch black aruana with thelong tapered tail. The live bait worked well. So, I would guess that the best artificial bait would be a long black plastic worm used for N.A. bass fishing. We didn't have much luck dragging the bait on the surface as the dorado seem to feed between the bottom and mid-depth.

Good luck!
Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We always guide dorado fishing see the reports don lietazu fished some dorados ,if you like you can use mrena a live bait ,its a kind of small anguilla ,dorados are predators so you need to interest them .March isnt the best time but i hope you have luck .Some experts uses flies ,and you can fish too making trolling .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the dorado fishing in Argentina, but I have done some fly fishing for trout there during early April.
I caught most of my fish (browns and rainbows) on caddis patterns, stone fly patterns, Adams and a few on terrestials. Caddis patterns were the most effective. We did some lake fly-casting for big brook trout and rainbows. We did best on dark olive or black wooly boogers. I took all kinds of attractor patterns also but rarely used them and didn't have much luck when I did.

I did some nymphing in the river and it was so easy it was like cheating. Typical hare's ear, pheasant tails, and beaded prince patterns worked the best.

Basically take anything you'd want on a Wyoming river in early fall. I used mostly 4 and 5 weight rods. On the lakes I used 6 and 7 weight rods (with sink tip lines). I also packed an 8 weight but I only used it on one river when we were salmon fishing.

Which river will you be fishing and which lodge are you hunting out of? We spent most of our time at the San Huberto lodge on the Malleo river. There was Stag hunting available there also. It's a beautiful place and I hope to go back one day soon.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote