Notify
Tools

Blue Peacock Bass in Brazil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted
Hope you like it.

15lb rod + Shimano Metanium + 30lb Power Pro Super Slick Line. Using a fluorcarbon leader is highly advisable.

Topwater "walk the dog" lure, 1/2oz.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent fish.

How do you like the reel ?

I am a big fan of topshot of fluorocarbon. Need to get my fg knots up to speed.

I hate waking the dog - I just like throwing big poppers and Stockbaita.

Headed to amazon in January for some monster peacocks.

Need to buy a few quality bait casting reels.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Excellent fish.

How do you like the reel ?

Mike

The reel is amazing. If I had to say anything negative about it (I´m really pushing this, because it is really great) would be that after 4 ou 5 days of topwater lures its weight (220gr) starts to make you think about lighter options.

I´ve got the Shimano Aldebaran BFS trying to build an ultra-light rig for blue peacock (aldebaran itself is like 120gr), but it ended up being too weak (not enought line capacity and low drag too).

As for the topwater baits, Blue Peacock are really agressive and predictable also. Topwater baits are an spectacle themselves because of the surface attack and water explosions. In the Amazon, because of the constantly changing tides and temperatures, you´d need more options if the fish are not biting one or another kind of bait.

Have fun there, mate.

Reiter.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ounces matter especially if one is fishing for days and throwing lures.

I will check out the reel. I may get a light and heavy bait casting reel pair to take to Brazil.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote