New
Find
Notify
Tools

night swordfishing charters in key west
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a good swordfish charter in the key west area. I have done some research and it seems night time during the fall seems to be the best time. I would love to hear some recommendations and maybe some fishing reports of your own would be great. I'm mostly a hunter, but I have been deep sea fishing in marathon key west for Mahi, tuna and wahoo and had a great time. I feel swordfish would be pretty exciting especially at night where you can expect more action. It would be cool to catch a few sharks as well.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I'm looking for a good swordfish charter in the key west area. I have done some research and it seems night time during the fall seems to be the best time. I would love to hear some recommendations and maybe some fishing reports of your own would be great. I'm mostly a hunter, but I have been deep sea fishing in marathon key west for Mahi, tuna and wahoo and had a great time. I feel swordfish would be pretty exciting especially at night where you can expect more action. It would be cool to catch a few sharks as well.

It exciting for the last 5 minutes.

Otherwise it is rolling up a massive weight. The same weight one uses to send the bait down. The sword normally swims up with the weight.

I fished for them out of Venice. Guys have nailed the technique down.

But the fishing for me is pretty boring. There is definite skill in rigging ect.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you went during the day right. How many swordfish did you get and what size where they?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I'm assuming you went during the day right. How many swordfish did you get and what size where they?

125-150 lb and it was daylight

1 - we were fishing a tuna tagging tournament. And the tuna were not cooperating.

There are guys in south Florida who have nailed the technique and have the right gear (electric reels).

It’s also great eating fish.

Also we did not have electric reels. You really need electric reels.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Nothing like hand cranking 4+ lbs of lead and bait, plus a cyalume light stick up from 1000’ down to convince you this wasn’t a good idea,. Admittedly this was on the west coast chasing swordfish at night. And blue sharks are NO FUN TO CATCH!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote