Find
Notify
Tools

Churchill River System
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I just returned from a phenomenal place. The Churchill River system in NE Saskatchewan, Canada.

We fished out of Sportsmans Lodge - - 1/2 hour float plane flight north of La Ronge.

What I liked best was the scenery but 4 of us caught 543 fish in 4 days of fishing. About half were Walleyes and the rest Northern Pike.

There are a lot of rapids on this system and a native guide is a good idea.

My biggest pike was 42 inches but I had a larger one on the line for a while. She struck the lure about one foot from the boat so I had a good look before she ripped the hooks out and calmly swam away.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shhhhh don't tell anyone about Saskatchewan!!!! The fishing and hunting is a big secret, everyone thinks it's just flat wheatfields. I'm glad you had fun!!!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Shield" fishing is fantastic,isn't it! I grew up in Winterpeg and had relatives in Prince Albert. Got to fish the shield a lot and since moving to BC havn't enjoyed fishing nearly as much. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Winnipeg also. Now in Florida (gag). The fishing is still fabulous in eastern Manitoba.....even in the tiny Seine River right outside Winnipeg. There was a spot on the Bird River Road (out of Lac du Bonnet) that was SO BLOODY AWESOME!!!!! I think I'm gonna cry!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conifer, I too remember fishing the Bird River And Lee River Falls. I used to live and play near the Seine River. Remember the girl who found that huge Pike stuck in the downspout pipe? Fished for golfballs in the Niakwa CC and Windsor too. Alas, the Seine River is no longer "Outside" of Winnipeg.
On the plus side, they got Hogs around the old city now! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote