Find
Notify
Tools

Re: well i'll start it off
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Reds have been running lately, but this week of 90+ degree weather might mess that up....we need a really good cold front to really kick off the fall migration patterns.

Specks are reliable down here most of the year...just different patterns.

Tuna seem to be showing up a lot at the docks too...but October is the best month for them down here.

How much do they let you fish off the rigs when you are working offshore? I fish a lot of rigs out to 40 miles, and rarely see any workers with a line in...

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
cdh, depends on the rig it's getting where fewer and fewer rigs allow fishing. but the ones that do allow it as long as you are not on tour you can fish. we can't fish on a floating rig or a drill-ship because of the thrusters. see more and bigger fish on the floaters and drillships because they are in deeper water 1000'-10,000'. i have seen whales, turtles, and whale-sharks out on the deep rigs way out. before we do seismic work which involves setting off air cannons in the water we have to have "whale watchers " check visually and with hydrophones to insure no whales are in the area. i want that job when i retire.

good fishing to you

arky65

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Arky! I haven't done much of that in a long time, but it's how I got started. These days I stalk the flats with light tackle, spin, plug and fly. Do a little bug poppin' for bass too.

When I was a kid living in Frostproof, Fl., we used to take a hair-hook and a piece of worm to catch a small bream. Then we'd take our 5' steel rod with the West Bend casting reel and put a bass hook on the 20# dacron and use the bream for bass bait. Worked great too, then all them fereigners(Yankees mostly) moved down and it got all plucked up. Never occurred to me to get an even bigger hook and use the bass for bait, don't know why. Nobody said we couldn't...

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hi arky65,
I have been fishing most of my life and have run the gambit from blue gills to tuna but up untill 6 years ago I had never had the opportunity to do any pond fishing. WOW!! I am hooked! We retired and moved on to a small cattle farm in Virginia and are lucky enough to have great neighbors who have ponds and let us fish. Out of a 5 acre pond that we now own land on they have taken several 9lb bass, 3lb crappie and 1lb bluegill. You mention trotlines, when I was a kid in North Carolina we used them for snapping turtle (cooters) if you haven't tried them you are missing out on a treat, they are mighty tasty . Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I live in what's termed south central Alaska. The rivers have runs of Chinook/King, Sockeye/Red, Coho/Silver, pink and chum salmon, as well as rainbow trout, steelhead and some dolly varden. Most lakes have rainbow trout, some dolly varden and grayling. In the salt water we have the salmon before they hit the rivers, and for bottom fish, rockfish, halibut, lingcod, and a variety of other non targeted species.

There are plenty of fish to go after, but not enough time to persue them. I usually fill the freezer every year with a dipnet, family of 5 is allowed 65 salmon. Then I enjoy fishing for rainbows on the uncrowded lakes. Can't stand fishing shoulder to shoulder for salmon on the rivers. When the boats finished, we'll be going out after Halibut and rockfish. Oh yeah, we can also drop pots to catch shrimp.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

i fish for ... strippers, hybrids,

Gotta watch them strippers...they sure can take some line off the old reel in a hurry. Set your drag tight!!!

Down here it's mostly (salt water) specks (spotted seatrout), red's (red drum), flounder, black drum, sharks, snapper, king mackeral, and some tuna. Freshwater around here mostly has several kinds of catfish, white bass, crappie, and largemouth bass.

Plenty of other fish to keep a guy busy, but we have to draw the line at just those chosen few!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
CDH, i work in the oilfield out of lafayette, la. get to do some marsh fishing for reds, specks,and flounder from time to time. depending on the rig we some times get to fish off the rig, i have caught some nice tuna cobia and wahoo off the rigs. right now the reds and specks are running pretty good the guys at the shop have been limiting out on specks.

good fishing

arky65

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote