Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing in Tanzania & Zanzibar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted
Looking for info on fishing. Most likely in need of a guide for fishing on Zanzibar. Just looking for basic info about the fishing in Tanzania. Thanks for your help

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
marlin, sails, tuna, dorado, king macks. Queen fish, snapper/grouper. It's relatively inexpensive charters, and zanzibar is a very neat place, and not pricey to get to, either, or to eat and drink and stay.

if you are considering it for a few days after a TZN safari, stop considering and just do it. Great place to have the wife or girlfriend meet you after hunting, both of them if they get along well. Big Grin

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went fishing in zanzibar a few years ago and we couldn't find a decent boat to charter- ended up going on a Mokore?( a handmade wooden deal) We cought a couple of smallish 10+/-lb wahoo. BIIIIG (easy 100+lbs Eeker) yellowfin were busting all around us all morning. But the crew (local fisherman) said it was impossile to catch them in the daylight. I had my secret yellowfin jigs that hammers the tuna in costa rica with me and told them "watch this" when I put the lures out, fully expecting to hammer a couple of big yellowfins asap. Alas the black guys were right not even a nibble by a tuna Frowner. It was pretty frustrating as everywhere else I've ever been if you can find tuna busting the surface, we immediatly began catching them.

There is someone who charters with proper sportboats out of the northern end of Zanzibar somewhere. You might try PM to kibokolambogo here on this forum- his son is a hardcore fisherman in Dar and could probably hook you up in Zanzibar. Another option would be Jasper Samaras- (Luke's son) he is also a pretty hardcore fisherman in Dar.

As far as rates go I have not found them to be any cheaper there than anywhere else, what I found was 5-700 for a half day and 1000/1200 for a full day on a proper boat with crew.

I think that you could probably have a pretty good day reef fishing if you can get away from the spots where they fish with dynamite. we saw some pretty spectacular reefs in Zanzibar but I didn't get a chance to pursue the reef fishing.

Any other specific questions- maybe I could help?

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote