Find
Notify
Tools

My Mother loved fishing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
She was 90 years old and until the last month of her life walked two miles a day, rain or shine. She raised five kids as a single mother and taught us all to love the outdoors. She loved fishing and would go 2-3 times a week at Gaviota Beach pier from the mid 1970s until 2010. We had to take her driver's license away then because of her deteriorating vision and hearing. After that I drove the 300 mile roundtrip once a month to take her fishing and my brother drove a 600 mile round trip whenever he could, to do the same. My first deer rifle is still registered in her name since I was too young to buy it myself.

She passed away earlier this month in the home that she loved and lived in for the last 55 years with her family around her. We'll be scattering her ashes off the coast near her favorite piers, on the bluff that overlooks one of these piers near the place that we sowed morning glory seeds about 10 years ago so that the hill would bloom in the summer when people were enjoying the pier and the last part of her ashes will go on the mountain lookout overlooking the valley of Lompoc, California, the city that she loved and swore that she'd never leave. Now, she never has to.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that Frank. Your mom sounds like quite a woman, who experienced a life well lived. Condolences on your loss.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You had a awesome Mom. Very well written.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great tribute Frank. Your Mom sounds like she was one very special lady. My condolences on your loss, although it sounds like heaven has gained a real treasure.

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
X 2! tu2 tu2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your momma was old school,God Bless her and your family.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an absolutely AWESOME Lady wh did well by her children and was lucky enough to live her own life.

May she live on i the hearts and minds of those she BROUGHT up and are now left behind to carry on her legacy!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote