Find
Notify
Tools

Belize Mothership Adventure
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My wife and I are off to Belize for a week of flats fishing in late March. We've chartered a 40' Sea Ray complete with fishing guide and cook. Staying on the "Mothership", and towing a flats boat, we'll stay in a different caye each night. Tarpon, Permit, Bonefish and snorkeling are on the menu.

We have the fly fishing gear arranged, but will also take spinning gear. What specific rod/reel combinations would you recommend? I'll need one 12lb outfit and one in the 16-20lb range. Both should hold a minimum 200 yards of line.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
SBT, first off let me tell you how much I hate you. Smiler I'm freezin' my big ole butt off up here in the mountains.
I'd buy something cheap and just leave the rod/reels down there.
What service are you using?

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
What specific rod/reel combinations would you recommend?

I like Shimano spinning reels, the Sedona is a nice mix of price and performance, but I have never had a bad one...A Penn 5500 would do nice too, but they tend to be heavy and not as smooth...super tough though. Both will handle the saltwater without a hitch.

Any decent 6-8.5' rod will do. I like to go light, as in a 8-12 lb class rod for 12 lb test line, vs. a 12-17 lb class rod for 12 lb line. Handle a few dozen and see what 'feels' good. I also like relatively stiff spinning rods, not really whippy ones....better 'feel' when working a bait or lure. Others think the whippy rod affects a live bait less, allowing it to run more freely.

Be sure to post a report when you return!

Poletax, it hit 89 degrees yesterday down here, only 83 today. Thanks for keeping that cold crap to yourself!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thaks you guys. I was looking at the Penn 4300ss, 4400ss and 750ss, but will also check out the Shimano.

Poletax,
It is dead of winter here at 7,000 feet in the Rocky Mountains. I know how you feel. Take a look at: http://www.flyfishbelize.com/

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
In the Penn SS series I have a 4400, 4500, 7500, and 9500. Mostly they are for surf fishing, but it seems that I always have one of the 4400 or 4500 in the boat when I go in the bays. The 5500 will be plenty for 17 lb line. You really shouldn't need 200 yards of anything, even allowing for breakoffs. The only times I have been spooled were a 6/0 wide Penn on one end and a 7' blacktip on the other...with 40 lb Trilene in between, and once in the surf that I never even slowed down...

I have cought redfish to 35 inches on 10 lb line with a Penn 4400...and not gotten to the end of my line. Tarpon are the only ones you mention that could run enough, and it will not matter much what you have...if a big one hits, you are going for a ride.

Have fun!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I checked out the Shimano, boy are they pricey! When you say the Penn SS series is mostly for surf fishing, why is that? Isn't a spinning reel a spinning reel?

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I find them heavy to use all day. They work fine for whatever you would use a spinning reel for, but I just feel the weight a bit more than with my Shimano's...surf fishing is a lot of cast and set the rod in a holder. From a boat you are usually holding a rod all day, and there lies the difference. I probably should have said "I mostly end up using them for surf fishing"...not that it is a quality problem...surf fishing is probably harder on tackle that any other kind of fishing.

Like most everything else it is a very subjective thing.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Got it, that makes sense. Thanks.