New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sinking Stinking Louisiana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently went on a fishing trip near this place in Louisiana. We didn't do well with the catching, but did okay with the fishing.

I was disappointed in the location. I had never been to this region, and now that I've been there I don't think as favorably of it as I had imagined.

Much of what the author says in the article, I saw for myself. Lots of land going under water, or shallow, water covering what used to be land, per the guide who's lived there all his life. I saw many areas inshore with large dead trees still standing, dead from salt water getting their roots.

Many houses have been lifted up on piers. Every high tide with a south or SE wind and the roads and yards flood with brackish water, and it would be much worse if the flood gates were left open or weren't there.

Lots of gas and oil wells. The mud stinks, and is black. It's a nasty place and I'll never go back.

================================================

On a sinking Louisiana island, a historic tribal land, many aren't ready to leave

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...iBiq?ocid=spartandhp

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19515 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pretty darned sad. Being from the Northwest, I have never quite understood the levee networks, as they seem by their very nature doomed to the inevitable. Are people in these places actually able to buy flood insurance?
Sorry you had a bum trip.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your trip. Next time consider Santee Cooper Lakes in SC. Lakes Marion and Moultrie. Famous for land-locked Stripped Bass, Largemouth Bass, huge Catfish,and Crappie. Built in virgin flooded Cyprus timber. Clean, great scenery, and convenient to Myrtle Beach resorts and historic Charleston.

Posts: 3645 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently fished Venice.

The marina is flooded with ankle deep water.

Lot of dead alligators - roadkill - including big ones 10 plus footers. Never see that in Florida.

Venice is being over fished for tuna and the new offshore structures are moving bait and resident tuna future offshore. Riding 70 miles out is expensive and not fun.

If anyone wants to doubt global warming - go to Venice, Louisiana.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang guys. I been planning on going to Venice later this year to check it out. Is it really that bad? Are there any local hotels or guides you can recommend?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you want to fish for? After Barry get in touch with Coco Marina in Cocodrie. Due south of Houma. I’ve fished there for 25 years. Trout and Redfish are unreal. Only place I’ve ever fished where you can limit on trout and if it slicks off you can head off shore for snapper, and Cobia. Marina has condos for rent and a good restaurant. Check their website.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam
The mud stinks, and is black. It's a nasty place and I'll never go back.

Sounds just like every swamp I have ever seen.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You cannot stop global warming.

And I for one is very glad it happened!

Apparently our earth was covered with ice, a mile deep, all of it.

If it was not for global warming, we would not be here! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66672 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote