Find
Notify
Tools

off to Costa Rica
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
well this time tomorrow i will boarding a flight in Dallas going to San Jose Costa Rica for the yearly blue water fishing trip. hopefully we will do as well as last year with a fly rod chasing sails.for sure we will have fun beer

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
well this time tomorrow i will boarding a flight in Dallas going to San Jose Costa Rica for the yearly blue water fishing trip. hopefully we will do as well as last year with a fly rod chasing sails.for sure we will have fun beer

Jerry - look forward to a report and pictures. I need to make it to costa rica to fish - one of my trips for 2015.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the only thing better than the fishing in CR is the fun/nightlife

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Sails on a fly rod is my challenge for 2015.

Will be going to Exmouth Western Australia in Feb to chase them ...

Tight lines

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Last year my buddy and I landed/released 22 over 5 days and lost about twice as many. We also landed at least as many dorado( mahi mahi)....

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sounds like heaven to me -- except I have to wear the scopalomine patch ...

barf

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Last year my buddy and I landed/released 22 over 5 days and lost about twice as many. We also landed at least as many dorado( mahi mahi)....

Now I am jealous - I need to do this trip in 2015.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice! I'm going to have to try this out one day. Do you have a charter company or area you recommend?

leaving next week for a 4 day on the Intrepid out of San Diego. Usually do a couple long range trips a year but would like to branch out a bit.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
for many years, i have stayed/fished with a company called Crocodile Bay Resort. American owned and run and the nicest folks you could ask for. largest fishing fleet in southern CR. google them for website. we didd pretty well( i am sitting in the Admirals Club in Miami homeward bound) considering it is the rainy/ off season. landed 8 sails, 4 roosters, 1 large amberjack and a few cubera and jack crevalle - (fished inshore 1 day). lost probably 15-17 sails and 2 blue marlin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice. On the list for 2015.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiting for an trip report...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
not really a report but a few pictures. we fished in heavy intermittent thundershowers, so few pictures were taken to save the camera gear. the rain never affected the fishing and was nice and warm, but i didn't want to soak my camera.

the 2 sails are some i caught, the rooster fish and amberjack were caught by my BIL( who also caught some sails)...as an aside, we were not allowed to bring the sails onboard for the traditional photo across the transom or our lap. studies have shown this GREATLY increases the mortality of released fish( and all billfish in CR are catch and release by law). good conservation of a valuable resource. the roosters and amberjack were also released.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice,

This gets me fired up for my trip to Vanuatu in September

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for posting up your fishing pictures. I have fished in bunches of boats. Those "Strikes" are the best all around boat I've fished in. Your thoughts?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you folks had a great time Jerry tu2

Any sashimi? Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
yes, we had fresh tuna sashimi several nights as an appetizer before dinner. as to the Strike boats, i agree, Steve. i haven't fished on the 33' models they have but the 35' boat is fantastic- heavy enough to handle big seas, dry and a stable fishing platform in most conditions. and apparently it is built in Costa Rica, so it costs less than US brands