New
Find
Notify
Tools

East coast deep sea fishing in May?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to take my son deep sea fishing when he gets his spring break from collage. He gets his spring break around May 8th. About a week later he starts his summer job. Any ideas on where to go. We will drive from Mich. I'm thinking anywhere from S. Maine to Virginia. Are there any tuna around at this time of year? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the web pages for Salt Water Sportsman and Sportfishing magazines for information.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Oregon Inlet area offers the most reliable fishing on the east coast. There are a number of boats that operate out of three marinas in the area. There are plenty of places to stay.

The end of May is a Tuna tournament and plenty of Tuna are caught at that time. Marlin usually dont appear till June with August the best time.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tuna come north following the ocean temps. They don't hit Cape May, NJ (Baltimore Canyon)till usually July on their way north. You'll probably have to hit North Carolina at that time of year.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go to Oregon Inlet or Hatteras. Personnally IMHO I'd vie for Hatteras, Plenty of good boats and Captain's. Depending on the weather, it may be rough. Worth the drive.

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote