Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Lake Boundary Waters 2014 (pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
Just over a month ago, I went on a nice canoeing and fishing trip in the South Arm area of Knife Lake, in Minnesota's Boundary Waters.

Knife Lake is big and deep, at least much bigger water than we're used to fishing in the BWCA, and bites were slow. Started things off by hooking a nice 18" smallmouth just off our campsite on the first morning after paddling in, but we only got a few small pike and some bass after that (which were out of season and only catch & release by then so we couldn't eat them). There are lake trout in Knife and we tried fishing for them without luck.

One day we portaged into Lake Sema, a much smaller yet still pretty deep lake. There we found the lakers. I'd never caught a lake trout before and we went there specifically to get some meat (pike), so when I reeled the first one in I was really surprised. We ended up catching four from 16-20", with a couple more following up to the boat. All were caught while we slowly trolled Mepps spinners along a steep incline that went from 20 to 60 feet.

I caught the biggest one of the day, a beautiful 20" fish. It was one of the best tasting fish I've caught.

Here's some pics from the trip:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous country. That's some great fishing and eve greater eating!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Bill, it was awesome. I wish there were more northern pike in the lake for entertainment (and good eating) but catching lake trout was a great surprise.

This is about as good as it gets, just fried up fresh immediately after being filleted.

Wish I could have shot these with more than a camera, you know a little roasted grouse would be good too.

Another treat we had in camp was some of my smoked wild turkey breast. Was a great snack after we finally got to camp after the long haul paddling in, washed down with a drink.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good trip. I've always wanted to go there.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Sounds like a good trip. I've always wanted to go there.

It was a great trip Mike, and I think you owe it to yourself to visit the area at least once. I'm lucky to have grown up in this state and today have the opportunity to return to the BWCA at least once if not twice in spring 2015.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan,

It looks like you had a great trip and some great pictures.

It has been a long time since I have been to the BWCA.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
fantastic pix.. If you're not a professional photographer, you should be.

You should post a bunch of these in the Natural World forum on AR to let others see.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:
Evan,

It looks like you had a great trip and some great pictures.

It has been a long time since I have been to the BWCA.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
fantastic pix.. If you're not a professional photographer, you should be.

You should post a bunch of these in the Natural World forum on AR to let others see.

Thanks Steve! Not a bad idea to post them there, maybe I should just compile some of my favorites I've taken here in Minnesota this year.