Find
Notify
Tools

Best line for spinning reels....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen & Ladies!

Please tell me what is the best line for spinning reels? Freshwater / light line.
Most mono brands seem to coil up too much for me?
Your thoughts? Thank you!
Brittman

the

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Braid or mono?

Braid fresh water - I would probably stick to powerpro.

Mono -I don’t use much. Yozuri or Ande.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I never used braid. Do you need to use Super-Glue on the knots?

No problem here trying it! I assume PowerPro is very limp and doesn't coil up like a lot of mono lines do? I'll check it out now.

Thanks for the tip. It's most welcomed!

Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brittman:
Mike,

I never used braid. Do you need to use Super-Glue on the knots?

No problem here trying it! I assume PowerPro is very limp and doesn't coil up like a lot of mono lines do? I'll check it out now.

Thanks for the tip. It's most welcomed!

Brittman

You don’t need super glue. There are numerous knots that work with braid.

Not sure about freshwater but with saltwater there is often a topshot of mono or fluoro. The knot tying these two together is fg knot and it is a tough one.

I will use braid with topshot for peacock bass in January.

Braid is super thin with no stretch. Don’t over fill the reel.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For me I use fluorocarbon line on my fresh water light spinning reels. Usually more expensive than mono, but I like its toughness, thinner diameter, and its usual lack of visibility. It also does not seem to get the 'memory' and peel off of the reel on its own like mono does. Furthermore, I think that fluorocarbon does better with UV light as far as not degrading and weakening like mono. Just my two centavos worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your comments about spinning reel line. I appreciate it!
I now tried braided and it does not give, I found out! I like it, though.
I will try fluorocarbon on another reel and try that. I think I will quit on mono - too much coiling for me!
Thank you all!
Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I have found is to use Suffix 832 braided and then tie a leader of fluorocarbon. Works great for ALL the fishing I do, salt or freshwater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brittman I usually use a double uni knot when tying braid with a leader of choice. There may be better knots to use but I've had no problem using it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny reb,
I've watched the uniknot videos on uTube and after practicing a bit, I think
I will go with it.
Glad to read you had no problems with the uniknot holding. Thank you!
Brittman

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
Brittman I usually use a double uni knot when tying braid with a leader of choice. There may be better knots to use but I've had no problem using it.

For fun more than anything else I'll sometimes use a double nail knot on my fly leaders to go from the butt section down to the leader. I'd think this knot would work well between braided and mono or flouro.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I just switched to a 10lb braided line that I got from China off ebay. Took it fishing last weekend and I'm having a problem with it hanging up during use, it doesn't cause a snarl but of course that's where the cast ends. It pulls itself in between the underlaying coil.Is this common with most braided line or only cheap stuff? Doesn't snag all the time and I certainly like how it casts and the feel you get with it.Do I need to just use it a bit more, or possibly spray it with something of is this a tendency with all braided lines? This is on a spinning reel.

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Powerpro - no troubles.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of old school and for standard freshwater fishing I REALLY like Stren Magnathin walleye color... Kind of a dull green tint to it. I use it for everything walleye on down, usually 6lb test. Very thin, limp, and casts a mile with light lures.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Best I have found is to use Suffix 832 braided and then tie a leader of fluorocarbon. Works great for ALL the fishing I do, salt or freshwater.

This !

I have tried several braids, and 832 is the best so far.
For light tackle spinning gear (90% of my fishing) I spool up 8 lb Sufix 832 in place of 4 or 6 lb mono..
Use a double palamar knot to a small quality barrel swivel and 2 - 3 ft fluorocarbon leader.
8 lb braid casts like 4 lb mono, with less memory.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The swivel is because I troll a lot.
I still loose fish, but never because of line/knot failure.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Braid and I add a mono leader

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a couple of 1500 yard spools of Power Pro Super Slick 8. Amazing stuff and a big improvement in casting (spinning rod) over their normal line.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How many of you fishing use braid directly to your lure or bait.
How many use a mono or flouro leader?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use power pro braid with a fluorocarbon leader for specs and reds

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote