Find
Notify
Tools

Location X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I finally got out of the city at 16:00 last Friday hitting the N4 east.

Got to the farm just after 18:30.

Up early on Saturday after a few hours of sleep after working on the local jackal population.

It takes at least 30 minutes drive on the farm road in 1st and 2nd gear to get to the dam.

Stopping at the dam conditions looked great

Getting on the water I saw some fish working the reeds beds and this was my 1st plan to target the reed beds and grass beds

It did not take long before the mist rolled in and the easterly wind started blowing. From past experience I learned this makes for lock jaw and tough fishing but I still worked hard till 11:00 when the few hours sleep started catching up.

The plan was to get back to the dam at 16:00 for the late afternoon session till dark. Well that did not happen as the rain came in at around 15:45 and it bucket down for the rest of the afternoon and evening. (60mm of rain for Saturday)

Sunday morning I got to the dam at 07:15 with a north westerly blowing. But...

The dam level went up by at least by 1,5 meters

Visibility was down but still good enough at roughly 45 to 50 cm.

It rained at times while on the water

I finally got connected to this little young one

Whats interesting about this trout is proof that the trout spawn in the inlet of this dam. The farmer stocked this size trout in November 2009... Wink

Also had a interesting visitor going past ...

Morning session just gave me the young trout had hopes for the afternoon session.

Left the farm house at around 15:00 and could not get to the dam fast enough as flying ants were starting to fly and I hoped this might result in some hot top water action...

Unfortunately this did not happen. Around 30 min before last light I tied on a dark Walkers Killer on a No 8 hook. Thinking whats the chance of a trout picking up this fly in bad viz water and low light.

Well it started getting dark where I casted the sinking line by feel. I have always time for one more cast and while on the way to where I get the tube out of the water I cast into the deeper area of the dam and counted down to 20...

About the 3rd strip and I got hit, fast and furious action fighting the trout more by feel than anything else around the tube in the dark made for a lot of sports... Big Grin

She weighed in at 3.75lbs and rough measurement of around 20 inches

Dark photos not to great but I think you guys will get the idea...

This got me fired up for the last session on Monday morning as I planned to finish up at around 09:00 before getting back to Pta and Jhb.

As I walked out of the door this was the view

Getting to the dam...

Getting on the water

My piece of heaven

At the inflow of the dam I saw trout working the shallows.

Stalked closer on the tube.

I tied an ND Dragon on before I got on the water as I was determined to catch my 1st trout on a fly I tied myself.

2 false cast and the dragon dropped softly right into the target area over the grass bed.

3rd strip and I got hit fish on for maybe 5 seconds and out pops the hook... man I was talking in some languages ... Mad Razzer

A trout kept working the area but could not get it interested, I moved away to a different area working the reed and grass beds as I go. With no success I gave the area at the inlet time to settle down.

This time I tied on a Mrs Simpson (go to fly for me) stalked back to the same area at the inlet with no more fish visible 1st cast into the deeper part of the channel, 2nd cast right next to the reeds on the grass beds...

Fish on...

Got to love this 4wt TFO rod I bought from Gerrit

This trout was 2.5 lbs

I moved into another part of this inlet and again tied on the ND Dragon.

1st cast into the channel area I got hit by a trout.

I can not remember ever been hit so hard by a trout in the past...

As she hit me she came out of the water and as luck would have it as she went landed the fly came out.

Man I was livid as my 09:00 cut of time was getting close.

Worked another area close by for about 10 min and then stalked closer to the channel.

This time I cast right into the channel.

The ND Dragon really delivered and 3rd time lucky and this time she stayed on!!!

3.4 lbs

With that it was time to get out and start getting things sorted to hit the road back to Gauteng.

I had to work really hard on this trip for 4 fish. Each fish will be remembered for a long time.

I enjoyed every moment on the water and out in the mountains and will go back again in April...

Hope this gives you guys an idea why I love hunting these silver slabs ....

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good report!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fantastic pictures and report. I would love to do one of those mountain pond trout trips some day.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Thanks for the fantastic pictures and report. I would love to do one of those mountain pond trout trips some day.

Thank you Palmer,

Planning another trip over Easter may do another report then...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Gerhard

Stalking trout is great sport and those rainbows look like really good fully finned specimins.

Do they go back or do they go on the Braai?

Our still water fish are a bit muddy tasting so I tend to give them away to any of the young kids that are fishing the lakes we are at.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Certainly appears to be medicine for the soul

Like the kill of hunting hunting, catching, is only a small part of the success of being there.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Gerhard

Stalking trout is great sport and those rainbows look like really good fully finned specimins.

Do they go back or do they go on the Braai?

Our still water fish are a bit muddy tasting so I tend to give them away to any of the young kids that are fishing the lakes we are at.

K

These guys went back.

Will be hunting them again in early spring...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za