New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fly reel recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My kids ordered me a really nice custom fly rod (5 wt. 9’ 6”). I’m clueless regarding such matters, but I’m pretty sure it’ll need something nicer than a Cabelas Prestige reel to complete the package. Any recommendations? I mainly flail the waters of Colorado streams and rivers in pursuit of relatively small trout with dry flies, but tie on nymphs and “hopper/droppers” as the situation and season dictate. I know the obvious question is “how much do you plan to spend” - and the answer is “as much as I need to” to match a way-too-expensive gift that will probably become a nice inherited memento of “times with Pa.”

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a new fly reel in a while (can't believe I just said that Roll Eyes ) but I would look at the lower price/good value range. If you ever plan to use it on anything but small trout find one with a drag.

Actually the best thing to do is go to a good fly shop, tell them what you need and listen to their suggestions.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a stable of great fly reels. The best in my mind are Tibor Reels. A nice Tibor Signature Series Model might fit the bill for you. There are a lot of good, decent fly reels out there that you would be happy with, that aren't as expensive as the Tibor reels: Orvis, Sage, Redington, Abel, Ross Reels (made in Colorado), Lamson, Nautilus, Hardy, etc. What I hear you saying is that you want to put a nice fly reel with a nice fly rod that will have some lasting value. I agree on that. I hope that this helps and gives you some direction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. UEG, your assessment is spot on and I wish I had expressed it so concisely!

I’m kinda like a Mossberg shooter in a Holland & Holland store when it comes to fishing!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. There's nothing like a fine fly rod and reel. A work of art like a fine shotgun or rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I think I misread the original post thinking you were looking for a budget reel.

I have a long time soft spot for old Hardy's but also have new reels from several manufactures. UEG has listed some of the ones I'd look at too.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reel that I have come to fully appreciate, especially for Salmon and Steelhead, are the Solitude Fly Reels made in Mount Vernon, Washington. Corrosion resistant, fully anodized, machined from bar stock aluminum, etc. etc. Some very fine reels as well for the money. I have three of them, among my large stable of fly reels. They do make them in the smaller size reels as well for trout, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My “formative years” included hours of bass buggin’ with an 8 wt fiberglass rod and an old “wind up” Martin automatic reel. Knew nothing about equipment or technique but I caught a bunch of nice largemouths and panfish on popping bugs. Used 12 lb monofilament for leader/tippet. I had no instruction, so have a bunch of bad habits!

I make a couple of trips each year to Colorado to try to fool a few. I tie my own. That may be part of the problem, but it makes each strike a success! Looking forward to having a nice rod, but having a hard time believing a rod that costs 10 times as much will bring me 10 times the pleasure. Pearls before swine...

I’ll try to post a follow up after I try it.

Thanks for the leads!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy life my friend! You deserve some fine things in life. Everyone does! Make memories with your new fly rod and a fine new reel!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used Ross reels combined with a good 10wt rod for King salmon fishing in Alaska for many years. Also used System Two reels. They worked very good but the Ross did out class them. At the time the System Two's were 25% of the cost of the Ross.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
King Salmon fishing sure sounds like a torture test for a fly rig!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good quality 8-12 weight fly rod with fly reels like Tibor's The Riptide or Everglades Reels make it quite manageable and fun.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Redington Rise are $200 with a life time warranty.

You need to find a reel that balances well with the rod and line. look at Warranties!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with either Hardy or Abel,or Orvis’ new 50th Annivery reel. It’s a real beauty.

Whatever you get, make sure it balances correctly. A heirloom rod deserves a heirloom reel. With those three you can’t go wrong. I own and fish 10-12 Hardy reels, the best.

And by the way, the fly reel is not just for holding line. Learn to get the fish on the reel and the pleasure doubles.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for recommendations. I went with one of reels the rod manufacturer suggested - an Abel Vaya. They also suggested a Ross Colorado and a Hardy Marquee - and hearing no overwhelming support for those, I ordered the Vaya. Seems like I couldn’t go wrong with any of the three, and with no personal experience, the Abel seemed right. Now to get some time on the water!!!

Thanks for everyone’s input. Tight lines!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice choice! tu2 Please post pics of your set-up when you have time. I would love to see it! tu2