Find
Notify
Tools

CIMARRON RIVER
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
As a prelude to an antelope hunt in New Mexico I added two days of fishing the famous Cimarron river.

I fished a stretch between Eagle Nest and the Philmont scout ranch. I was not there at the optimum time.

It is a very scenic area.

Note: Slow way down when going through the town of Cimarron. Its a speed trap and that female cop has no sympathy for those who do not see the sign. I left the cost of a very good fly rod with that berg.

Where I fished it was above 8,000 ft altitude. Not being adjusted to that altitude I would wear out after about 3 hrs. of casting. I found myself getting sloppy with the cast due to arm fatigue.

The water was clear and low. The fish were really spooky.

This represents the widest spot - a beaver pond. It was the only spot on the river that I seen another fisherman.

This is the narrowest spot I came to. There was a huge brownie under those green leaves but I could not get a dry fly to him despite several tries from below, the side and upstream. Probably someone more expert than I could have hooked him. I eventually scared him off by lining him.

Here is a typical width. This stream was challengeing to an amateur like me. The trout were under all those overhanging bushes and you had to slip up on them with soft footsteps on the stream bottom, not making any splashes nor kicking any rocks, being careful that your shadow did not cross them then make a perfect cast the first time without snagging the branches.

This stream is reputed to have more wild brown trout per mile than any US river except the Madison. In six hours of fishing, I only covered maybe 300 yards and caught 33 trout - and spooked many times that many.

If you go, take a short, light rod. I used a 7ft. 2wt. and thought it was perfect for the stretch I was on.

This is as much about hunting - locating fish, then stalking up tight and making a good cast - rather than fishing. I suppose that is why its so much fun!

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I love hunting trout with the fly.

Awesome stretch of water.

Thanks for the report.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote