New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Surf fishing for shark
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying it out. Bought a shimano 12000d, ugly stick surf rod and some 50 pound braided line.

One of these days I should catch something.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I am trying it out. Bought a shimano 12000d, ugly stick surf rod and some 50 pound braided line.

Mike

I had a shimano TLD50 I used..similar set up.
Didn't fish too much from beach as I was always a bit worried about attracting sharks (and unwanted attention) at my former beach house on the Gulf Coast
I saw someone the other day using. Drone to carry the baits way out though that was a really cool idea

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, try to find a vacant stretch of beach and fish early and late to avoid swimmers. I like to use light tackle to catch live bait and then hook up on a balloon float. Hang on! I've seen more than a few 8 footers taken 50 yds off the beach. If folks knew what was in the water that close they wouldn't swim.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friends from NC that live up W of Co/Spgs. drive down home every summer. Last year I think it was. They'd been surf boarding off a point. Next evening is when those two kids from Denver area got "sharked", one lost an arm to it. From the same point they were on. The other kid was up the shore a bit.

Just trying to tease the doll, I told her: "hell, I'd take a bite out of her anytime"

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can watch a guy on youtube who hired two guides fishing for shark on the beach in Florida I think . They fished at night, hooked about 20 and landed about 12 . You can find him under screen name catfish and carp. Catch and release. It got kind of dicey when they grabbed them by the tail to release.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Mike, the problem is, the sharks near your zip code are spoiled, try using about 2 pounds of prime ribeye for bait. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Mike

Mike, the problem is, the sharks near your zip code are spoiled, try using about 2 pounds of prime ribeye for bait. Smiler

They are not spoilt -I just can't cast past the second sandbar where they all hang out.

I need a high end kayak to get out there.

I still can't for the life of me figure why people let the children swim out in the open and near bait (birds diving) - lots of sharks.

Saw a picture of a 14 ft tiger shark caught of the beach in TX recently.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a high end kayak to get out there.

SAVE money, swim it out. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ir_kCEpGI

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ir_kCEpGI

To drop a real shark bait - 2-5 pounds of bluefish I would need a very high end commercial drone.

More importantly - I am less than 5 miles from Patrick Airforce Base - flying drones would be a big no no.

I need to hire a kid and buy a ocean kayak. I tried to get some paddle boarders and surfers to take my bait out - they suddenly became very uncool and flustered Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a bunch of friends and family over at the Beach ( cocoa beach, Florida)

Put out a lot of surf rods. One was loaded for shark with ballyhoo as bait. Ugly stick with shimano baitrunner 12000.

2 massive bites.

One was a spinner shark who spooled the reel. The shark jumped twice which was very cool. Seeing a 6ft plus shark jumping out of water is a awesome sight.

One day I will land one.

Mike