New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thailand fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The wife and I had some vacation time to burn before the end of the year so we decided to fish Thailand. A fellow I know fished there last year with a guide named Bkkguy John and had a great trip. I contacted John through Facebook and he had the dates open that would work for us. A very small deposit held our dates and the planning began.

My wife located a place she wanted to stay in Bangkok that turned out to be very nice with great staff and food. John would pick us up each fishing day and bring us back to the room at night. He supplied lunch each day and also bought our breakfast on the mornings we had to leave before the restaurant opened. John knows good food and every meal was delicious.

I booked four days of fishing with John. The first day was for mekong catfish and striped catfish. There was a chance for Siamese carp but we didn't catch any. The second day was primarily for snakehead but we did catch a couple of barramundi too. The third day was scheduled for chaophraya catfish and red tail catfish. The last day was all barramundi, and a good day it was.

We also had a few days to do some sightseeing both by land and by water. We either hired a car and driver or took the rail. I don't think I would drive in Bangkok for love or money! Most of the locals were friendly and polite and spoke at least some English. With four long days of fishing we didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted but we did get to do some shopping and tour some ancient temples. Thailand is a very inexpensive place to visit with some great meals only being a few bucks, tours and car hire were cheap, and accommodations being one half to one third of comparable place we've stayed in other parts of the world?
Apparently I'm having a bit of trouble with the pics

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mekong catfish

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snakehead

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chaophraya catfish and red tail catfish

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last day of fishing was for barramundi. In one of the pics my wife and I had doubled. She immediately claimed that hers was bigger. I had a bit of trouble explaining to her that a barramundi caught on a fly rod was automatically five pounds bigger than a barramundi caught on a spinning rod. Another thing about this day is a local came by selling homemade coconut ice cream in the actual coconut shell. This stuff was amazing!

Just a note, we caught way more fish than I posted photos of.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent

Dog faced catfish at IT Monsters - you used live bait?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first and biggest I caught on a hand sized tilapia colored lure. The small one I caught on a dead talapia while trying for pacu, and the third was on a live silver carp of about 3 pounds.

DRSS