New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida kayak fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The wife and I fished with Deep Blue Kayak Fishing in early April for peacock bass and had a great time and caught some nice fish. They also do inshore for snook and tarpon as well as offshore. We found time to get back over the 4th of July weekend for a few more days with them. Here are some picks. We released everything except a couple of kings and the tuna.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few peacock from the earlier trip.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine catch!
Great pics and looks like a fun time.
Thanks for sharing with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

DRSS

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had some fun and great catches.
Bill fish take you for a ride?

Enough tuna there to enjoy it several ways.
Thanks for sharing.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sail did a lot of jumping and running back and forth the first ten minutes or so then decided to head for deeper water. He pulled me at least another mile out before I could slow him down. Can't put to much pressure on them in a yak, they'll roll you out of it.

That big jack pulled my wife three miles up the coast. We just landed on the beach and called an uber to take us back to the truck.

I made a big batch of Hawaiian style poke', and then grilled the rest of the tuna. Had enough folks over to eat that I barely had enough leftovers to make a tuna sandwich the next day.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow this is great stuff and it's in my backyard.

I need to try this out.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm booked up with North America stuff now through November and then we're doing the Thailand fishing in December. If I have any time or money left I'm going to head back there in January or February. It's great that you guys can fish 12 months a year down there without cutting ice!

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
Mike, I'm booked up with North America stuff now through November and then we're doing the Thailand fishing in December. If I have any time or money left I'm going to head back there in January or February. It's great that you guys can fish 12 months a year down there without cutting ice!

I will try - I normally stay away from fishing Florida cause if I like it I will end up owning a boat that I will over time regret.

If you Are going to Thailand you will have a blast - best bang for the buck fishing and it is a damn cool country to hang out in - cheap friendly great food on and on

I would either take my own reels or buy reels in Thailand - good prices okay selection.

The reels in gear I have seen there are normally beat up.

I plan to take some penn slammers iii and higher end shimano/daiwa next time I go and at the same time buy some baitcaster there.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

I will try - I normally stay away from fishing Florida cause if I like it I will end up owning a boat that I will over time regret.

If you Are going to Thailand you will have a blast - best bang for the buck fishing and it is a damn cool country to hang out in - cheap friendly great food on and on

I would either take my own reels or buy reels in Thailand - good prices okay selection.

I plan to take some penn slammers iii and higher end shimano/daiwa next time I go and at the same time buy some baitcaster there.

Mike

quote:
I normally stay away from fishing Florida cause if I like it I will end up owning a boat that I will over time regret.

Not to worry Mike, the best fishing kayaks, arguably one of the Hobie Mirage series, which look like what is used in the above pics, cost well under $4K. Not a problem for you. Take the plunge, load it up in your truck, unload it in your favorite fishing spot, catch a wave, and tour Cuba! Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Are Peacocks in most of the rivers and canal systems, at least the southern part of the state?

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The peacocks, along with Mayan cichlids, and clown knife fish are pretty much from lake Osborne (just south of West Palm Beach) and points south down the east coast. I've only fished for them in Lake Ida and Osborne and the canals in between.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find a Hobie Outback for around $2500 and even cheaper for a used. Here in oklahoma we don't have to register them or buy tags so they are pretty inexpensive after your initial purchase. The mirage drive peddle system is amazing. Your legs are much stronger than your arms so you don't get tired as easy. My paddle kayak wears me out after a couple of miles where as I've peddled for 6 hours without fatigue. Not to mention it leaves both hands free for fishing.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one of the Mayan cichlids. I was bank fishing with my fly rod.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

Mike

quote:
I normally stay away from fishing Florida cause if I like it I will end up owning a boat that I will over time regret.

Not to worry Mike, the best fishing kayaks, arguably one of the Hobie Mirage series, which look like what is used in the above pics, cost well under $4K. Not a problem for you. Take the plunge, load it up in your truck, unload it in your favorite fishing spot, catch a wave, and tour Cuba! Smiler

Gato

For the offshore stuff - I am pretty sure they take you out there in a bigger real (gas/diesel powered boat) and then put you in a kayak.

Give how incompetent I am with anything marine - a kayak would suite me best. I cant crash it Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, it's all kayak, no boats involved. We launched from the beach and came back and landed at the beach. Although the big jack my wife caught pulled her about three miles north. We just landed at the nearest beach and hitched back to get the pickup.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
Mike, it's all kayak, no boats involved. We launched from the beach and came back and landed at the beach. Although the big jack my wife caught pulled her about three miles north. We just landed at the nearest beach and hitched back to get the pickup.

Interesting

Now I need to really look into this kayak.

Gato my first ocean going boat is going to be a foot pedal powered kayak. The marine world is safe Big Grin

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

Interesting

Gato my first ocean going boat is going to be a foot pedal powered kayak. The marine world is safe Big Grin

Mike

Mike:

Be sure to paint the bottom of kayak a sleek black, so it will look like a trolled seal to a great white...... wave

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

Interesting

Mike

Mike:

Be sure to paint the bottom of kayak a sleek black, so it will look like a trolled seal to a great white...... wave

NO !!!!!!

All my fishing stuff is bright and observable.

One of the tagged great whites - I think Mary but am not 100 percent sure - surfaced 600 yards from cape cape canaveral a year back.

Now I have to rethink the whole kayak thing Wink

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Mike, a discerning Great White would probably spit you out with no more than a few tooth marks....kind of like hickeys of the sea. Big Grin'

What's the old joke about "professional courtesy"?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't worry Mike, a discerning Great White would probably spit you out with no more than a few tooth marks....kind of like hickeys of the sea. Big Grin'

What's the old joke about "professional courtesy"?

I wish professionals standards still existed with lawyers and sharks.

But I am worried this will happen to me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_AB_PWgFes

sofa

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike! I think driving in Florida is more dangerous than kayaking with sharks.
My wife had a big hammerhead under her yak that was trying to get her king. As soon as they landed it it went on its way.

What you need to do is buy a fleet of Outbacks and fill your fridge with beer and invite us all down!

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know one thing, if I'd been that person in the kayak/white shark video above, I'd have long before he started waving been slowly and silently swimming for shore. Brrrrrrrr.....

Article in Texas Fishing mag shows pics of guys landing an 800 plus pound hammerhead from the beach.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of my best friends, and probably the smartest guy I know, is a Harvard Law School Grad. He practiced with a major NYC law firm for a year or so, hated it, and quit the firm and the law. He is now and has been an extremely successful rare coin dealer with his fingers in many NY financial pies. I am in awe of his mind. I told him my son, Adam, was considering law school and he was aghast, told me, "have him call me and I'll talk him out of it." Said it was great for improving the mind but the work was horrible. That is just one man's opinion, of course.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One of my best friends, and probably the smartest guy I know, is a Harvard Law School Grad. He practiced with a major NYC law firm for a year or so, hated it, and quit the firm and the law. He is now and has been an extremely successful rare coin dealer with his fingers in many NY financial pies. I am in awe of his mind. I told him my son, Adam, was considering law school and he was aghast, told me, "have him call me and I'll talk him out of it." Said it was great for improving the mind but the work was horrible. That is just one man's opinion, of course.

Gato

I think law school/ legal education is a good route for some people. I spent 4 years in law school - was it wasted - not 100 percent sure. I have zero interest in practicing law - still keep a license (allows one to take a cell phone in a delaware chancellory court).

My 2 cents

If one wants to do stuff other than law (business/finance) go to the best law school one can get into - top 10-20 in real geographic markets (boston/nyc/california - dont have DC there). Take classes in B-school.

Go to law school when one is young - no formal work experience - otherwise go to business school. Dont worry about grades like every other loser there does.

Law firm for 1-2 years is good experience for specialization - bankruptcy ect. Anything more is a waste of time.

The legal profession overall is made of risk adverse people - the exact opposite of what it to become successful in a capitalist society.

I have left out risk taking lawyers like complex plaintiff bar ect - they are business guys in a sense.

Again this is from my personal experience which is narrow.

Mike

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Are the Mayan Cichlids and/or the Peacocks edible or not so much so when one has salt water fish just down the block?
That Cichlid looks like it could provide some fun on a fly rod or light spinning gear.

Challenge your limits