New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costa rica fishing recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any good inshore or off shore outfitters/captains in costa rica?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i always stay at Crocodile Bay Resort in the south west end of the country, American owned and run.just north of the Panamanian border. fairly upscale( so the wife would feel right at home, if that matters) with a full service health spa and organized ecotours but the focus is on fishing. fairly short run if chasing pelagics and an even shorter run if after roosters, cubera, amberjack, etc.the accomadations are first rate, as is the food. huge fleet of boats from small to large. check out their website for more info.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13127 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Silver King Lodge is also good - especially for for Tarpon and Snook. Its not fancy but a very good fishing lodge. Its built out over the water.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hot...ovince_of_Limon.html

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
a few years ago you had a choice of 3 tarpon lodges at Barra del Colorado- Silver King, Rio Colorado, and Casa Mar( which i always preferred because of its isolated location away from town up in the jungle). with Casa Mar closed, it's a toss up with the other 2 and both are fine. the OP didn't state what he wanted to fish for so i assumed it was blue water stuff and Croc Bay is my favorite. if i wanted tarpon on a fly rod, for sure it would be Silver King but Rio Colorado Lodge is essentially the same..i would suggest an overnight stay at each end of the trip downtown with a visit to the Hotel Del Rey but if his wife is going, probably not a good idea rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If you want luxury with superb Italian food (next to the marina) and an incredible in house breakfast, check this all-inclusive place out. The pool is huge. The fishing was fair but we hired the cheapest/smallest boat to go for Roosters and marlin. We had one each on the line but the guides were not paying attention. So, go with the larger boat and you will catch fish. http://www.marriott.com/hotels...ean-and-golf-resort/ Cheers.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Los Suenos as shown above is awesome, but very expensive. Staying out of Quepos is much cheaper and the fishing is just as good. Actually, you fish the same waters, you just don't have the glitz.

Go to VRBO and rent a house or check with Christaian Gonzalez at www.costaricafuntrips.com. He can arrange transportation to/from the airport/Quepos and set up lodging.

We fished with John at http://www.queposfishadventure.com/OurBoat.html and were well pleased.

Mike was our deck mate and the hardest working most knowledgeable I've ever fished with. Mike is now a captain on one of John's other boats.

These guys are very good and much better priced than probably any other you'll find.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
jdollar I like the location of Crocodile Bay Resort. How comfortable was the drive in to the resort? Is it a long one? Did you fly in in a small plane? Our backs were sore after the 90 minute drive to Los Suenos. Thanks. Ray

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
be aware that there is a rudimentary beach but it is small and not of the white sand variety. you fly in my small plane( 45 min to 1 hr depending on whether it stops or not) and the flight is scenic over the mountains/rain forrest. then just a 5 min drive to the lodge. lots for non- fishermen( wives??) to do- spa, jungle hikes, horseback rides, zip lines, kayaking, etc. Croc Bay is WAY off the beaten path, so if you want nice accomodations with no crowds and efficient/friendly staff, it's great. by the end of a week, you will know all the other guests on a first name basis.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Our beach had dull grey sand and was un-groomed. Wouldn't even wade in. I'll mention CBR to the Wife. While I think of it, don't leave anything valuable in your room at LosSuenos. Someone (staff?) stole my prescription sunglasses out of our room. Thanks j. CB

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
similar beach at CBR but perfectly safe. just shallow water with no wave action as it is well up in the Golfo Dulce inside Matapalo Point. i never lock my door- never had anything go missing. within 2 days the staff will know your name and drink preferences. and the food( included) is GREAT!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I'll consider it for our next extended tropical trip. For now, I've been ready to head to the Florida keys again. The fishing off Islamorada is superb. Too bad accommodations are mediocre at best or we'd go more often. It's very laid back there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Croc Bay recommendation is good. I fished out of Los Suenos twice, very nice but expensive, but I was aboard a friends 64'Viking.
On the Caribbean side, I highly recommend Rio Parismina lodge for fantastic Tarpon. Great lodge, been in business a long time, lots of repeat customers. When I was there, 8 other fisherman had all been there multiple times.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote