New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crocodile Bay
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was posted in another section, has anybody else had any experience here recently. I am looking at going next December and have heard good reports and this is the first bad report I have heard.
If you go to Costa Rica, I would stay away from Crocodile Bay. I think the longliners have damaged the fishery there. Went in November, which is supposedly "the best" and had terrible fishing. (for the second time)

Speak with Paul Reiss at Acute Angling for Brazilian fishing trips. He's got it dialed. It's the guy I do my river trip with every year. He has other trips that are as interesting as well.

Formerly "Nganga

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I know CBR has been in negotiations for several years for a huge resort expansion that would essentially replace the existing facility with a mega time share resort on the property. So I am not surprised about that. As to the fishing, near shore longlining has always been a problem and the COsta Rica COast Guard is a joke. Open, outboard powered skiffs are simply not up to patrolling the large area.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive heard some negative stuff in recent years... I have a buddy in FL that organized trips there and he won't go there any more
I would...
1) go to Zacanudo if I were to fish that area or
2) go to CasA Vieja in Guatemala ..you will slay the sailfish in Guatemala. Mixed bag may not be as good but the Sailfishing isn't even close. They are averaging something crazy like a Sailfish every 6-8 minutes all day right now. On Dec 30...one boat had over 110 Sailfish raised

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
This was posted in another section, has anybody else had any experience here recently. I am looking at going next December and have heard good reports and this is the first bad report I have heard.
If you go to Costa Rica, I would stay away from Crocodile Bay. I think the longliners have damaged the fishery there. Went in November, which is supposedly "the best" and had terrible fishing. (for the second time)

Speak with Paul Reiss at Acute Angling for Brazilian fishing trips. He's got it dialed. It's the guy I do my river trip with every year. He has other trips that are as interesting as well.

Formerly "Nganga

That was me. They in fact did make a deal for a huge HUGE resort, Hilton if I remember it correctly.

When I was there, they were bust entertaining, wining and dining prospective investors for their resort plans. They claim the marina will be the largest in Costa Rica, huge amount of slips.

They also claim that the "Feel" of the sport fishing will remain the same.

I for one have made my last trip there. There are plenty of places to fish.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Guatemala... I would strongly recommend...
I have fished both areas and it's not even close. A bad day in Guatemala is better than an above average day in Costa Rica.
I raised 120 sails in three days and also caught some nice Mahi/dorado

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
I have fished both areas and it's not even close. A bad day in Guatemala is better than an above average day in Costa Rica.

We went to Guatemala in March and landed 79 sails in only 2 days. From Jan to Mar, Guatemala is awesome for sailfish.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

We went to Guatemala in March and landed 79 sails in only 2 days. From Jan to Mar, Guatemala is awesome for sailfish.

Poyntman and TX Blue Devil

Can you guys please provide info on who you used ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

On my last trip we used Pacific Fins. I've been to Guatemala for 5 fishing trips, normally 3 day trips. In five trips, our boat's worst day was landing 21 sails. On the other hand, in five trips, our boats have only landed 3 marlin. However we normally go between Jan and Mar. Good time for sails, not as good for marlin.

On this last trip, at the start of the second morning, we had 3 sailfish hooked before they could even get the 4th line in the water. It was basically instantaneous, 2 minutes into the day, and 3 sails on.

http://pacificfins.com.gt/

Here is the Pacific Fins fishing report (in bold) for the week we fished in March 2016. As you can see everyone caught lots of sails.

The Sola Group from Ecuador arrived for the 2nd time. Fishing 3 days on Chechos they raised 214 sailfish, had 175 bites and released 95 on light tackle!

The Frey Group from France arrived for 5 days fly fishing on Aguardiente. They raised 197 sailfish, had 91 bites and released 36 on FLY + one 500 lb marlin!

Brad Courvelle arrived for 4th time. This time joined by his son Adam. In 2 days fishing on Maverick they raised 131 sailfish, had 103 bites and released 79. They also caught 1 Blue marlin

The Ribeiro Group from Brazil arrived for the 4th time. Fishing 3 days on Maverick they raised 95 sailfish, had 80 bites and released 61.

The Forsberg Group arrived for the 2nd time from Sweden. Fishing 2 days on Sirena they raised 127 sailfish, had 101 bites and released 68. They also caught 1 Blue marlin.

The Silvernail Group arrived for the 3rd year in a row. Fishing on Chechos for 3 days they raised 204 sailfish, had 162 bites, released 102 conventional and 5 on FLY!!

The Morris Group arrived for 2 days fishing on Maverick. They raised 149 sailfish, had 116 bites, released 84 conventional and 2 on FLY! They also raised 2 marlin and released 1.

In March of this year, my son and I are going to Zancudo Lodge in Costa Rica, mainly for roosterfish and cuberra. We have never fished Costa Rica, but hopefully it works out.

Guatemala is awesome for sailfish!!!!!

Brad

Go Duke!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

On my last trip we used Pacific Fins. I've been to Guatemala for 5 fishing trips, normally 3 day trips. In five trips, our boat's worst day was landing 21 sails. On the other hand, in five trips, our boats have only landed 3 marlin. However we normally go between Jan and Mar. Good time for sails, not as good for marlin.

On this last trip, at the start of the second morning, we had 3 sailfish hooked before they could even get the 4th line in the water. It was basically instantaneous, 2 minutes into the day, and 3 sails on.

http://pacificfins.com.gt/

Here is the Pacific Fins fishing report (in bold) for the week we fished in March 2016. As you can see everyone caught lots of sails.

The Sola Group from Ecuador arrived for the 2nd time. Fishing 3 days on Chechos they raised 214 sailfish, had 175 bites and released 95 on light tackle!

The Frey Group from France arrived for 5 days fly fishing on Aguardiente. They raised 197 sailfish, had 91 bites and released 36 on FLY + one 500 lb marlin!

Brad Courvelle arrived for 4th time. This time joined by his son Adam. In 2 days fishing on Maverick they raised 131 sailfish, had 103 bites and released 79. They also caught 1 Blue marlin

The Ribeiro Group from Brazil arrived for the 4th time. Fishing 3 days on Maverick they raised 95 sailfish, had 80 bites and released 61.

The Forsberg Group arrived for the 2nd time from Sweden. Fishing 2 days on Sirena they raised 127 sailfish, had 101 bites and released 68. They also caught 1 Blue marlin.

The Silvernail Group arrived for the 3rd year in a row. Fishing on Chechos for 3 days they raised 204 sailfish, had 162 bites, released 102 conventional and 5 on FLY!!

The Morris Group arrived for 2 days fishing on Maverick. They raised 149 sailfish, had 116 bites, released 84 conventional and 2 on FLY! They also raised 2 marlin and released 1.

In March of this year, my son and I are going to Zancudo Lodge in Costa Rica, mainly for roosterfish and cuberra. We have never fished Costa Rica, but hopefully it works out.

Guatemala is awesome for sailfish!!!!!

Brad

Good stuff Brad.

I spoke to Zancudo at DSC. Seems like a nice place.

I need to make it pacific fins.

My florida fishing buddies suffer from the famed florida disease. They keep pouring money into their boats and have none left to fish.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I fished with Casa Vieja. Both lodges (Pacific Fins too) use the same dock...
I liked the fact that I could look at the fishing reports to see what boats tended to do just a bit better consistently.
The captains on Affinity and Finest Kind are brothers
Service was nothing short of excellent the entire time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,
I liked the fact that I could look at the fishing reports to see what boats tended to do just a bit better consistently.

In addition to catching loads of sailfish, I like the comfort factor of seeing several other boats in the area. If you ever have boat problems, help is near by. There is plenty of room and plenty of fish.

Go Duke!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mike,

In addition to catching loads of sailfish, I like the comfort factor of seeing several other boats in the area. If you ever have boat problems, help is near by. There is plenty of room and plenty of fish.

This is important to me.

I don't like being out in open ocean with no one around and especially with non professional fisherman.

In the us I like fishing the gulf near Venice Louisiana just for that reason - there are always boats around from the oil services industry.

Went out of st Pete with some coworkers a few years back and after running out 75 miles - there was no body there. I did not like it at all.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You can't go wrong here pretty much bud...
I've fished several areas like Costa Rica, Cabo, Venice, and Florida where I lived for many years

Easiest thing I can tell you... a average (or even bad) day in GuAtemala is a very good day almost anywhere else.
A few Sundays ago we raised I think 64 Sails (plus three Dorado). I had about an hour and a half where we couldn't even get baits back we were so covered up with Sailfish...2,3,4,5,6 at a time in the spread
And Like TBD said...you are in constant contact with the fleet. They all go out together, radio their location on every bite/catch so that people can sort of go to areas where there is a better concentration of fish.
They use Terrafin app to follow the Blue water and currents etc
They have it dialed in!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Now I need to find a fishing buddy - my florida guys fishing $$$$ are all in their damn boats.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mean time....FWIW....

I'm no expert on these trips, but this was our experience.

Just got back from Croc Bay last Sunday. Took my 11 year old grandson. Great trip. Inshore fishing was good one day, slow the next, good again, slow again. Off shore was slow. Much like hunting. That's just the way it goes.

Talking points:

Staff was great with my 11 year old grandson. Could not have asked for a better experience. Accommodations, food, first class boats, hotel and fishing staff were superb.

Condo / time share project will be managed by Hilton and looks to be at least 2 years out. It will change the entire property. Was told that sales are just getting started, and are slow. The plans are to replace entirely all existing infrastructure with a new, high-rise, privately-owned, time-share, rental-pool type property.

In the end, for those of you dialed into Costa Rica and the OSA Peninsula, it will depend on your expectations going forward. Things at CB are changing, for sure.

In the meantime, CB is still going full blast and they provided my grandson and me a wonderful experience. Looking to go again late June when he gets out of school for the summer.

Post Script: Mike: If you're serious about a fishing buddy for Guatemala, let's talk.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
In the mean time....FWIW....

I'm no expert on these trips, but this was our experience.

Just got back from Croc Bay last Sunday. Took my 11 year old grandson. Great trip. Inshore fishing was good one day, slow the next, good again, slow again. Off shore was slow. Much like hunting. That's just the way it goes.

Talking points:

Staff was great with my 11 year old grandson. Could not have asked for a better experience. Accommodations, food, first class boats, hotel and fishing staff were superb.

Condo / time share project will be managed by Hilton and looks to be at least 2 years out. It will change the entire property. Was told that sales are just getting started, and are slow. The plans are to replace entirely all existing infrastructure with a new, high-rise, privately-owned, time-share, rental-pool type property.

In the end, for those of you dialed into Costa Rica and the OSA Peninsula, it will depend on your expectations going forward. Things at CB are changing, for sure.

In the meantime, CB is still going full blast and they provided my grandson and me a wonderful experience. Looking to go again late June when he gets out of school for the summer.

Post Script: Mike: If you're serious about a fishing buddy for Guatemala, let's talk.

I am serious for fishing buddy - anywhere where the fish are big and nasty and fishing is lazy (no fly fishing) and involves beers (hot weather).

Hunting has got kind of boring.

Will shoot pm.

Mike