Find
Notify
Tools

Panama or Costa Rica
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted
Considering a fishing vacation with my wife and daughter, and thinking about Costa Rica or Panama. They may not be as committed to the fishing as I am, so a decent resort with other activities would be a plus. Probably the Pacific side - more interested in rooster fish, tuna, snapper and billfish. Anyone have a recommendation, or a preference of one destination over the other?

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
Considering a fishing vacation with my wife and daughter, and thinking about Costa Rica or Panama. They may not be as committed to the fishing as I am, so a decent resort with other activities would be a plus. Probably the Pacific side - more interested in rooster fish, tuna, snapper and billfish. Anyone have a recommendation, or a preference of one destination over the other?

In Panama - tropic star. Expensive but worth it. I have never fished there but heard universally good things.

Costa Rica Los Suenos - heard good things about resort. High end.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We fished Costa Rica in 2013 for marlin and sailfish. Had a blast and caught a lot of fish. We booked the entire boat so we didn’t have to share. We also booked the boat, skipped a day, repeat, and repeat again. It’s nice to enjoy a day off after being off shore all day.
If your not a member join the Hull Truth boat forum. It is where we got all our info for Costa Rica.
Made the trip in Feb, weather was beautiful and we rented a car and drove all over. Country is very America friendly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Thanks both of you. Appreciate the feedback.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have yet to fish Panama, but when I do it will be with Tropic Star. First class outfit, but very limited activities for the family.

Costa Rica has great fishing. I'll return for my fourth trip in February. There are tons of activities other than fishing, white water rafting, zip lines, butterfly farms, surfing, volcanoes, national parks with monkeys & toucans etc. Los Suenos is a five star resort and can arrange everything you need. If their prices are out of reach, give serious consideration staying in Quepos and fishing out of Marina Pez Vela. Fishing is just as good and is home to the Offshore World Championships.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Costa Rica is great for the whole family. I went fishing in Jaco on the pacific side. Caught a Marlin but shook the hook. lots of sailfish and big dorado were caught. Best fishing trip I ever took.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Costa Rica for family/fishing oriented vacations. However, from a purely fishing point of view, Belize is difficult to beat especially if you're into salt water fly fishing.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote