posted
Any views/thoughts/opinions on federal

180 grain 30/06 and 300 win mag

Trophy copper

Trophy bonded tip

Use is general Africa plains game.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Trophy copper

Trophy bonded tip

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, Haven't you been around long enough to know that ONLY Barnes bullets will kill? NOTHING else is adequate. Big Grin

BTW, Acute has adopted my leaders and their preferred terminal tackle!! tu2

To add, I use Accubonds in factory ammo in .375 and down. DR loads are STRICTLY Woodleigh softs. I exclusively used of 260 gr. Accubonds in CAR for all large animals including two Central Savanna Buffalo, which died without leaving the immediate area.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably know this...

Trophy copper is ATK's spin on Barnes

Trophy tipped is a tipped bear claw.

I handload mostly, so haven't played with them, but one ph liked the trophy tipped from our conversation, but admitted he'd only had one client who used it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Use any of them you feel like using.

I have all sorts of plains game in South Africa with Sierra Match kings!

Not a single animal required a second shot.

180 grain MK out of the 30/404 at almost 3500 fps!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Trophy copper

Trophy bonded tip

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, Haven't you been around long enough to know that ONLY Barnes bullets will kill? NOTHING else is adequate. Big Grin

I am a serious Barnes fan boy but I don't reload.

I am also a big fan of federal.

I may be able to get both these bullets loaded by federal pretty cheap - so I want to know if it makes sense to load up.

Your leaders are awesome. I am moving my focus to gt fishing - the damn gear is super expensive.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Trophy copper

Trophy bonded tip

Thanks,

Mike

I may be able to get both these bullets loaded by federal pretty cheap - so I want to know if it makes sense to load up.

Your leaders are awesome. I am moving my focus to gt fishing - the damn gear is super expensive.

Mike

What is GT?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_trevally

I was mocked by the outfitters when I said can I bring a shimano baitrunner.

Saeed

Pi have a rifle that shoots Barnes tsx really well. I am trying to see if federal copy of Barnes will shoot as well.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve

Saeed

Pi have a rifle that shoots Barnes tsx really well. I am trying to see if federal copy of Barnes will shoot as well.

Mike

I would question the professionalism of said outfitter. If they can handle 300# Piraiba, a Giant Trevally is certainly achievable. Let me know when you find a good outfitter down there and I'll come down and give it a go. "Tight Lines, Screaming Reels"

BTW, Ralph and I are looking at a trip to Papua New Guinea for what are called Black Bass. It is actually a species of fresh water Snapper. Supposedly the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world. They get big too!! Check out some youtube videos.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Trophy copper

Trophy bonded tip

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Hey Mike,

We had the same issue a couple years ago before a trip to the BVC. We don't reload, and we really like Federal Premium ammo, especially with the Barnes TSX. I guess when Barnes started started loading their own ammo, they quit selling their TSX to Federal.

I think the Barnes ammo is fine, but my son has a 300 H&H. Prior to the trip, he had just finished his freshman year in high school, and his 300 H&H was going to be his heavy gun. Back then Barnes only loaded the 300 H&H in 150 grain TSX. So, we tried Federal Premiums in the 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip. The results were awesome. My son had one shot kills on a big eland, 3 zebras, wildebeest and Impala. We would definitely use them again in Africa.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Steve

Saeed

Mike

I would question the professionalism of said outfitter. If they can handle 300# Piraiba, a Giant Trevally is certainly achievable. Let me know when you find a good outfitter down there and I'll come down and give it a go. "Tight Lines, Screaming Reels"

BTW, Ralph and I are looking at a trip to Papua New Guinea for what are called Black Bass. It is actually a species of fresh water Snapper. Supposedly the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world. They get big too!! Check out some youtube videos.

The problem with GT fishing is you are fishing for large, extremely strong fish is shallow water full of razor sharp coral heads- and the fish know right where the nearest one is. They head straight for it and cut you off quickly. The preferred tackle are VERY large Shimano open face reels capable of generating up to 60 lbs of drag coupled with stump puller rods to stop them quickly. The reels in the largest model cost well over $1000 and the rods at least $400-$500. It is a highly specialized fishery with gear purpose designed just for the fish and conditions. When I fished for them in New Caledonia I never managed to land one- cut off too quickly. The The 2 locals landed one each, in spite of multiple hook ups, and they knew the technique! We had well over $6000 worth of top of the line tackle and still got beat up. Strongest fish, pound for pound I have ever hooked- and they get over 100lbs. With that much drag on a reel, you better be well braced on the strike or you will be swimming.
now back to the original topic....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
quote:
Steve

Saeed

Mike

The problem with GT fishing is you are fishing for large, extremely strong fish is shallow water full of razor sharp coral heads- and the fish know right where the nearest one is. They head straight for it and cut you off quickly. The preferred tackle are VERY large Shimano open face reels capable of generating up to 60 lbs of drag coupled with stump puller rods to stop them quickly. The reels in the largest model cost well over $1000 and the rods at least $400-$500. It is a highly specialized fishery with gear purpose designed just for the fish and conditions. When I fished for them in New Caledonia I never managed to land one- cut off too quickly. The The 2 locals landed one each, in spite of multiple hook ups, and they knew the technique! We had well over $6000 worth of top of the line tackle and still got beat up. Strongest fish, pound for pound I have ever hooked- and they get over 100lbs. With that much drag on a reel, you better be well braced on the strike or you will be swimming.
now back to the original topic....

Jerry,

I have no reason to doubt you. My point is that Piraiba in the Amazon (as you will soon learn) also have power that is difficult to explain. When you set the hook, they will run off 100-200 yards of line in just seconds. It is mind blowing. After the run, they tow the boat around, making a wake for 45 minutes to an hour. Then the battle changes and the fish sounds. You fight for line and then he'll go back down. This repeats itself depending on the fish size.

A 300# fish will blow your lower back up, you're up on the bow of the boat with no leverage. Great fun.

I use Shimano Bait Runner reels in sizes 8000D-12000D with 100# Power Pro braid. Theres not a tremendous amount of rocks so braid is pretty safe.

Now, a 100# Redtail.... Eeker

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Found this YouTube video of GT fishing in New Caledonia. We fished inside the barrier reef in a much smaller boat and had to contend with coral heads. These guys were just outside the reef and had open water. It will give you a workout either way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh0iaJ5nPw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes is owned by Remington now. This is perhaps the biggest reason that the TSX is not available in Federal ammo. If you have the time, there are custom ammo people like Superior who will load you whatever you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdollar:
Found this YouTube video of GT fishing in New Caledonia. We fished inside the barrier reef in a much smaller boat and had to contend with coral heads. These guys were just outside the reef and had open water. It will give you a workout either way.

Thats awesome footage Jerry, thanks for posting it.

This link is a quick 2:00 that is probably the very best preview of where and how we fish for Piraiba. Note how the hookset pulls these guys to their knees.

This river is in Suriname, not Brazil but looks 100% identical to where we are going. It is also in the Guyana Shield waters, which is where we are. Yes, it's German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0O76KT-xw

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
180 Grain Nosler Accubond has helped to fill my trophy room. I have taken it all over the states, Canada, Alaska, New Zealand and Africa three times and it just keeps on going. My bullet of choice in my 300.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdollar:

Thats awesome footage Jerry, thanks for posting it.

This link is a quick 2:00 that is probably the very best preview of where and how we fish for Piraiba. Note how the hookset pulls these guys to their knees.

This river is in Suriname, not Brazil but looks 100% identical to where we are going. It is also in the Guyana Shield waters, which is where we are. Yes, it's German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0O76KT-xw

Man, I can't wait!! come on, November.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Steve

Saeed

Mike

I am open for a Papua New Guinea trip.

I asked the baitrunner question to 4 outfitters from Africa to Asia to Australia. Got the same response.

Did some research - baitrunner is 15-25 ft pounds of drag - highest end Stellas are 55-60 ft pounds of drag. Basically the outfitters said you will get spoolled with a baitrunner if you hook a good size gt or yellowfin or dog tooth tuna.

Even in Thailand when I fished for Mekong Catfish the drag of the baitrunner I had got burned up - I had to use my hand on the spool for extra friction.

I am probably going to fish in Lakshwadeep island in India. I am also looking at Oman, Tanzania and pacific rim. Will keep you in the loop.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
Barnes is owned by Remington now. This is perhaps the biggest reason that the TSX is not available in Federal ammo. If you have the time, there are custom ammo people like Superior who will load you whatever you want.

I have had double tap load my tsx in 375 Ruger.

I have a fair bit of Barnes tsx in 30/06 stock piled.

But If I can get good ammo cheap I want to stockpile some more.

I am also buying reloading gear - scary world when I start reloading - a true age of darkness.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steve

Saeed

Mike

I am open for a Papua New Guinea trip.

I asked the baitrunner question to 4 outfitters from Africa to Asia to Australia. Got the same response.

Did some research - baitrunner is 15-25 ft pounds of drag - highest end Stellas are 55-60 ft pounds of drag. Basically the outfitters said you will get spoolled with a baitrunner if you hook a good size gt or yellowfin or dog tooth tuna.

Even in Thailand when I fished for Mekong Catfish the drag of the baitrunner I had got burned up - I had to use my hand on the spool for extra friction.

I am probably going to fish in Lakshwadeep island in India. I am also looking at Oman, Tanzania and pacific rim. Will keep you in the loop.

Mike

Didn't realize the pounds of drag were that different. Is there a Stella with a bait runner type free spool?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, no.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Unfortunately, no.

It is near impossible in a spinning reel to have a massive drag system with a baitrunner mechanism.

These very high end spinning reels - shimano Stellas and Daiwa Saltiga are taking on bluefins tunas. That is impressive.

The technology in these reels is amazing - Daiwa saltiga has NASA developed magnatic oil.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxebnLC_SoU

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Baitrunner LC in 14000 size has a reputed 20Kg drag...........a bit less in the smaller sizes.
Other baitrunner series have significantly less drag.

Drag in any reel is limited by shaft rigidity, body & spool rigidity. spool components temperature capabilities, drag design materials.
An inescapable relationship is that more drag produces more heat & the spool design & materials must be able to cope with & dissipate that heat, as well as handle the leverage forces on the shaft & the rest of the drivetrain.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote