Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing the Zambezi & Kariba
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
Since there is not an African Fishing section per se....I guess this will have to do. Come Sept 1, I will be going over for about 5 weeks to kick around, see lots of friends, and do some fishing. Think we will hit the river above the falls.....then onto Kariba? A couple of questions. 1. Does anyone know if there are boats to be rented on Kariba and who would you recommend? Of course we will be fishing out of Russell's place in Vic Falls. 2. Are there other places any of you have been on the Zambezi that you might recommend? I have never been below the falls. Or by Mana Pools. But have been out of Kazengulu on the Chobe and into Namibia. Any recommendation. WHAT DO YOU USE FOR CRANK BAIT?....We have only used the Rapala ShadRap's. 6 to 11' depth.

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting/fishing at Chete from the 10th or so until the end of September. It would be fun to see you on the lake.

I'm going to tie some red and white sparkly streamers (say, 3" to 4" long) for my 8 weight fly rod and hope the wire leader works!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fished in Lake Kariba when I was hunting Chete. Caught some tiger fish and some others that I don't recall the names. Most of the PH's have some fishing gear in the camp. You can just sit on the bank and fish in the lake.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Last year I hunted in Omay North on Lake Kariba (Ume River) with Martin Pieters.

There is a fishing lodge that still operates called Tiger Bay near his concession. They had boats for hire and there is good fishing in the area. We stayed at the Tiger Bay lodge for several nights and enjoyed the stay.

Martin post on here shoot him a PM he could probably give you contact info.

Here is a link also.

http://www.safarinow.com/go/tigerbay/

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Fishing on Lake Kariba

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote