Find
Notify
Tools

Corpus Christi (more photos added 8/22)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm working in Corpus Christi and went out for some inshore fishing this morning. We caught a bunch of big redfish (released) up to 42", some great black drum (kept a couple for the pot) and some other trash fish.

We were sight fishing, casting live bait and drifting dead shrimp in the current with spinning and bait casting rods on 12# test.

We had no luck on the speckled trout today,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hope you went real early or real late. its too damn hot!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I usually do 3 sessions a year in Port A. Will be back in October for bull reds.

If you need a great guide who is a nice fellow to be out with...call Pete Arzola ‭(361) 813-2714‬ and tell him Lane Easter sent you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lane,

I'm here working in Corpus for a couple of months and one of my best friends is a charter boat captain here.

I'm the temporary plant manager of a power plant that has a huge cooling pond that we can fish in. It's actually more catching than fishing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We went out last night and I fished top water plugs while my buddy used his flyrod.

Tom with a great black drum

Tom with a good red, also on the fly

Here's an 18" speckled trout taken on a top water plug.

Aug 5, 2018

We went out this morning in the rain and fishing was real slow until I changed over to a brass spoon fishing the channel between the sand flats. On my first cast I hooked into a monster bull redfish and his first run ran 100' of 12# mono and 100 yards of 20# braid. I got him turned and he made a second run and I couldn't stop him. He turned down the channel and just kept running. As I started getting down to the bottom of the spool, I started thumbing the spool to increase the drag I got him stopped finally but I couldn't get more than 3-4 cranks on the spool at a time. After 10 minutes of this he broke the braid. I got maybe 200 yards braid back but lost 100 yards of it with another 100' of mono.

I did land a 24"+ black drum on another spoon fished along the bottom and some smaller redfish and ladyfish all on lures.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Fjold

Looks like redfish Black Drum are keeping you entertained and the trout certainly looks like it would look good on a plate next to some veggies.

Is that the cooling pond with all the big ol Tilapia that they want the fishermen to keep.
Read or watched a video about it in the distant past.

I haven't seen any tilapia. I fished by myself Thursday evening and landed a monster redfish on a brass spoon. Held waist high, I had 6" of tail on the ground and I'm 6'2" tall.

I flew home for the weekend so I won't be fishing for a couple of days. Next weekend my brother is flying down to Texas just to fish for the two days because he couldn't believe all the photos that I was sending him.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have not been down there in about 3 years, looks like you are having a great time.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My brother came down this weekend and we fished from Friday afternoon through Sunday noon. We probably caught and released at least 200 redfish, speckled trout, black drum and some small croakers and ladyfish. We released over limits every day of quality game fish.

Here's my brother Tom and our friend Capt. Tom with Tom's 27" speckled trout. Tom caught three of these 27"-28" fish this weekend.

Tom's 30" redfish

One of many black drum that we landed:

My 45" redfish was the biggest of the weekend:

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Capt. Tom and I got in one more fishing trip before I go back home on Friday.

Here's his 45+" redfish

And his 28" speckled trout

Frank

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So is your temp job gig done thus the end of our fishing safari to the "cooling Pond"?

Those ledges in the dike do not look to be very wide to be standing on them fighting with fish that could provide quite a bit of pull, especially when the slopes seem to be far too steep to regain the perch easily.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
So is your temp job gig done thus the end of our fishing safari to the "cooling Pond"?

Yep, I've been home for a week. I'm already missing it.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Big fish from shore is always a treat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Is there a sea level inlet/outlet to the pond or is it mostly enclosed.
In several pictures I see a dike way off in the distance.

Time for my natural curiosity (nosiness) to go to google earth and see if I can find it. Can't be more that few thousand square mile where it could be.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Off to the east of the Barney Davis power plant there is an inlet channel 3/4 of a mile long. This brings the water into the power plant where it condenses the steam from the steam turbines and cools other equipment.

The water level is low in the google earth photo because the pond was drained part way down for maintenance on the outlet dam on the day that the picture was taken.

The water winds through the pond and then is let out of the north east corner into Oso inlet which empties into Corpus Christi Bay. The plant pumps between 300,000,000 and 400,000,000 gallons per day of sea water through the pond.

The seawater inlet has screens and strainers to keep sea life and vegetation out and there is a fish trap that bypasses the plant and dumps the fish that get caught in the inlet, directly into the pond.

Frank