Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner bait-casting reel or spinning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
My wife likes to fish but she has never learned to cast anything but a spin-cast (Zebco 33 and 733) reel.

We just got back from Rockport TX and when we fish the Copano Pier...she usually catches something out of spin-cast league.

Want to get her to switch to a good bait-cast or spinning rig.

Suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Spinning setup with braid would be my choice..

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
How does braid cast off of a spinning reel...good??? Better than mono?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
medium duty saltwater open face spinning reel( or lighter/heavier depending on what she will be catching).

MUCH More forgiving on casting technique . . . BUT will still take some getting used to.

Spinning reel is almost 100% FORGIVING . . .
AND

a baitcaster is NOT in the least forgiving!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
By open-face do you mean a spinning reel?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
How does braid cast off of a spinning reel...good??? Better than mono?

Braid casts far better than mono of a spinning reel.

All my spinning reels have braid on and my land based lure fishing setups on average gives me 100m plus casting 3-4 oz lures.

Light lures in the 1.5-2oz range gives me a bit less but more than enough to target the species I am after.

The seceret is to have an ballanced outfit.

What rod lenght are you looking to use?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If she can use braid (like Spider-wire)...she just needs 15 lb test diameter. But she needs a reel that can handle a 20lb fish and the appropriate rod. I always use a 6'10" rod myself.

While I can cast almost any rod and reel combo...I am a fairly novice myself. So you can tell me what I need.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Somebody give me an opinion on the Shimano Curado.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the Shimano Sustain 5000 spinning reel. Load it with 15lbs power pro braid.

Look at a 7 or 8ft rod like a shimano aerocast.

Use a 30lbs floro leader.

Connect the leader to the braid with an FG knot. Youtube videos will show you how easy it is to tie the FG knot.

Light setup, strong and will last her a long time.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:
Have a look at the Shimano Sustain 5000 spinning reel. Load it with 15lbs power pro braid.

Look at a 7 or 8ft rod like a shimano aerocast.

Use a 30lbs floro leader.

Connect the leader to the braid with an FG knot. Youtube videos will show you how easy it is to tie the FG knot.

Light setup, strong and will last her a long time.

Thank you sir!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

Shout if I can help.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Somebody give me an opinion on the Shimano Curado.

A good reel. not the best but good never the less.
I use a spinning reel (thread line) which is just easier to use. baitcasters are great for repetitive accurate short casts for fishing big lures to fish like Barramundi.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You can spend more money, you can spend less money, but for the money, it is virtually impossible to beat a Shimano Curado. They just work, feel right and last.

Mike

Posts: 21199 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a new fisher woman go with an open faced spinning real. They are a lot more forgiving to inexperience. The Curado is a great real and I have three of them that I use for bass fishing in Mexico. But it isn't a good choice for a newbie. If you don't know how to feather the spool with your thumb or adjust the magnetic brake for the weight of the lure you are using, you will be spending most of your time trying to clear up back lashes. The suggestion of using braid with a mono or fluorocarbon leader is the way to go. Don't use just fluorocarbon over 12 lbs. on an open faced real as it will try to coil off of the real and create a backlash mess.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Easter, please do not take this as a reference to your wife.
We fish a great deal in saltwater for trout, reds and flounder. Our clan is mostly men, but a lady or two on occasion. All the men use baitcasters like and including curados. When we take the ladies, I always have a b****h stick for them to use. 6 1/2 ft spinning rod w/ 12-15 lb line. A spinning real seems much easier for them to use AND lets us spend more time fishing and less time w/ a backlash tool. It takes much more time and patience to learn to use a baitcaster. Some (men) never learn and just give up due to frustration.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Lane if it were me I'd just get her a quality spin cast reel and let her decide if she wants to move up after that.

Personally, I'd take her to a Bass Pro or Cabelas and let her pick out a new reel, just tell her it can't cost less that $35. The Garcia 1276 is rated for 100 yds of 14lb test.

I like open face reels, could never get the hang of a bait caster so finally broke down and got one of the shimano curados mentioned above. I still look like a 3rd grader casting it, and that is after a bit of practice! So I went back to my spinning reels and am much happier. I know I'd be pissed if my spouse took away my spinning reels and made me live with that thing forever...

Anyway, best of luck in whatever choice you make.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't purchased anything yet, check out the Cabelas Salt Striker combos. I got one for my wife and she loves it.
Very good quality for the money. Took it to Florida and she did well with it.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I bought her a good spinning rod, put Spider Wire on it and she loves it. We got a boat and have been striped fishing almost every Thursday all summer.

I got myself a couple of Curados...I love them!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have seven rods on the bass boat, all of them are equipped with Shimano reels, spin cast or bait cast.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane:

I won't get into rods n reels. But, braid, the trick is when you're fighting a fish and it's taking out line. STOP reeling! All your doing is twisting that braided line. and when slack, it'll coil up into one hell of a tangled mess.

That's what most guys using braid bitch about and won't use it long.
I bought 100 spools for resale to the locals. After that I lost my ass on the deal. Wasn't my fault either, they just kept cranking on it.

Same goes for any other line, but, the braid responds to the twists this way. No way to get it taken out either, the lines ruined and it's a real shame due to cost of the stuff.

About the only way to get twists out of it is to put a very small lure or plain light sinker on and let nearly all your line out while trolling for a couple miles, most of the twists will work out of it then. Only way to check, is to get a bunch of it loose and drop it on the ground or boat floor and see if it retangles or not.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without doubt spinning. Be sure to manually check drag before handing rod/reel to her.

Shimano usually makes high quality reels in their pricing ranges.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Not an authority on this but I can say last year I gave my fiance a 6' medium-light rod with a Shimano Sienna 2500 reel (good quality for an inexpensive reel), spooled up with Power-Pro braided, and she's been very happy with it for bluegills to pike. Outfishes me most times we are on the water.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote