Tools

Vertical Jigging in Angola
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
WOW!!!!

What a day.

Was up at 04:early this morning after spending yesterday on the sea hunting Bill Fish.

I met Fernando (FEDU) just after 05:20 at Club Nautico and we got our things ready for what turned out to be an eventful day... For me anyway.

Fedu wanted to try popping for Cubera Snapper at a couple of his secret spots. So just after getting light enough to see we were out of the port on full blast running for a spot more than 30 miles north of Luanda.

Luckily the sea was not to bad and we got to the location ready for action. Drifting over the sunken boat we could see fish on the fish finder. We position the boat up current to enable us to drift over the spot. While drifting we were casting poppers trying to get the snapper to come and visit. After maybe 30 minutes of no action Fedu decided to move to another location, as the sea was not very ruff we could try another spot. But he had to stay at the controls as the water was quite shallow with a lot of rock around.

Again casting poppers could not instigate a strike so we decided to move off shore to another secret spot for some jigging...

So off we went for another hour running hard on the copy water. We finally arrive and Fedu asked if I want to try the spinning rod or the overhead rod.

Deciding that I want to see what my Shimano Stradic 8000 loaded with 50 lbs Saltiga braid can do I put it on Shimano Jigwrex rod.

I chose a neon orange jig and Fedu a pink jig.

And down they went.

On the 1st drift Fedu was on to a small Amber Jack...

So we decided there must be some truth in the rumour Nepps is telling every one about this jigging thing.... :spite

So Fedu was busy explaining to me how he jigs and work the jigs. We move again up current and down the jigs went.

Fedu was standing next to me jigging making sure I am doing things as I should in 95 meter deep water when I get a hit.....

Inside.!!!!!!

At 1st I thought it was also a small one but then some thing deep down there decided they do not like this thing in the mouth and started fighting.....

All of a sudden the spray is flying of the Shimano Stradic 8000 it looked like smoke was coming out.....

Man this Jigwrex rod does a beauty of a bend....

Fedu decides its time to take photos and watch while I am working.... I mean fighting the fish...

I dont know how long the fight was but this fish kept on fighting till the end...

My 1st fish on jigg!!!!!!

I am dripping wet with sweat fighting the fish in 35 Celsius heat with no wind blowing but man its fun...

Fedu moves us over the spot again and down the jiggs went.

And ON!!!!!

Fedu is fighting a small fish... aaahhh no there she goes!!!

The Shimano Sustain 8000 on the Shimano Blue Rose is a great combinantion.....

They say a photo tells a 1000 words....

So after all Fedu's hard work we went back to the spot and I send down the jig and it was not very long when that neon orange jig got smashed....

As Fedu predicted the bite slowed down just after 11:00 so I decided to put my Shimano Trinidat loaded with 30lbs Tuff line on one of these Jigstar rods I have been hearing so much about.

On goes the neon orange jig on position down they went and we just hit bottom and started working the jigs when 1st Fedu on starboard and then me on port side were hit but nice fish.

Unfortunatley the fish swam across the lines and before we could get the knitting sorted Fedu's braid parted.

Now it was me working the Jigstar and the fish and I am very happy to say that the Trini 14 and the Jigstar stood up to the challenge.

What can I say....

My 1st jigging experience and I am scarred for live

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Now you know about "rubber arms" Gerhard. Congrats on some fine A-Jacks. Have you tried smoking amberjack? That size does really well over some hardwood coals. Wish I were there!
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. I read the title about "jigging"
and thought it was another Obummer joke. In South Africa too?

That's one big "jig" ya'll are usin! Is an amberjack a type of tuna?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don,

The correct term for this type of fishing is actually vertical jigging.

We drop the jig on a reef and work it vertically through the water.

The fish we caught were Amberjacks.

All the best

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Tanzania we do a lot of deep jigging. Very effective, especially for GT's and huge Dogtooth Tuna. Its a work out but fun.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would really enjoy targeting Doggies one day as they are awesome fighters

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Nice AJs!

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
That is a very good series of photos of a great day fishing. Thanks

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...

It was a red letter day

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Those Amberjack are underrated fighters in my opinion. I feel they are every bit as powerful as a tuna the same size and perhaps even a little more.

Here when they get much over 10 lbs they typically get so infested with worms they are inedible.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote