THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FISHING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric trolling motor on canoe........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best value around for a electric trolling motor to power a 13' Old Town stern end canoe? With the advent of nice weather coming up and high costs of travel, now getting back to basics. Thanks for your opinions. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I use An old Minn Kota 28 or 35 pound thrust motor on my 15' 6" Aluminum canoe and it will move me along quite well though in some swift currents it is all it will do to move me against the current and in some places I have to get out or paddle to overcome current.

I usually go upstream for an hour of two . . . or . . . or three fishing along and then fish ! back to the truck.

I have made a contraption to mount the motor just in front of me, almost midship which makes it easier to use, but I lose some thrust due to drag with the motor in that location.

Large trolling motor battery seems to MORE than I need, but it is comforting to know there is excess energy available. I wish there was a good site that opne could use to deternie just how much battery is required. Of course one would need curret draw of HP for their motor and none are listed with that info.

Rig it up, you will LOVE it.

ALWAYS GO UPSTREAM FROM YOUR STARTING POINT! !

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote