New
Find
Notify
Tools

January Tuna Trip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are some photos of a trip my wife and I went on. It was a good friends boat and our intent was to stack up the grouper. We were about 24 miles off of Destin Fl in about 190 ft of water. After a few solid grouper I through out a flatline with a dead cigar minnow on a light rig, Penn 560 slammer, light rod, 12 lb test, and lo and behold, we got into the "uncatchable" blackfin tuna. It was quite a battle on light line. My wifes fish went 29, my buddies fish went 28, and mine went 27 lbs.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice report and good job, especially on light line.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Call me a wimp, but I consider 20# light for blackfin and prefer 40#...especially since there is usually a yellowfin or two lurking around schools of blackfin! When the big yellowfins hit, I don't care how heavy of line you have, you are in for a long tug-o-war!

Fun trip...enjoy those tuna steaks!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, we had no intentions on getting our butts kicked on that ultralight outfit. That was actually the bait rod. I had a mono leader sitting in the top tray of my box, and when I took the Sabiki off I put the mono on and let a dead cigar minnow drift in the current. We only had one 30# outfit on the boat. Everything else was 60 and 80 lb bottom fishing rigs. No dedicated tuna outfits were brought because no one had caught a blackfin in weeks. They were there, they just didn't want to eat until that day, I guess. In all seriousness, I have lived in or near Destin Fl for close to fifteen years and have been skunked offshore ONE time. The fishing is absolutely incredible. One day when I get my links back up I am going to re post some of the better ones.

Alan

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote