New
Find
Notify
Tools

pond cats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my son has 4 small ponds (water tanks) on his property. they are about a half acre each. they were dug to 20' in the 50s, have never gone dry. we divided 200 channel cats 6-8" in 3 of em a few days ago. anyone with any experience in pond management? they are in texas about an hour south of austin. 2 of the ponds were stocked with bass in the 60s and we're hoping they don't eat all the fingerlings. he threw a cast net in the first pond and brought out 8 perch and 2 small bass.the fourth pond is so clogged with algae we skipped it. others look good. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What is running off into the 4th pond that makes it "overly nutrient rich"?
May want to try to "harvest" some of that algae and let it dry up on the bank.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i will need to find someone better qualified to answer that. have no idea why its got so much algae. i know on the river where we have a house now that when you pull ur boat out of the water it covered in algae and we have to power wash the bottom and motor off about 2-3x a year. especially pontoon boats. and thats a flowing river.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote