New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea sick!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, I have spent very little time at sea!

However, when I have went fishing, I have become really sick.
Last time, I swore I was done chartering anymore fishing trips!

So, fast forward a few years and we have decided to take our graduating
18 year old son to Puerto Vallarta. 1 booked an 8 hour fishing trip
and am now dreading getting sick. Being as my son is so excited, I
want to make it enjoyable.

What do you recommend for sickness? A prescription patch? Our last trip
we avoided eating and took some pills (can't even remember the name)?? It
didn't work!

I'm open to anything and am willing to risk side effects!

Thanks!!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This works, zero side effects.

http://www.bonine.com/

Posts: 312 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jilek!

I have heard of this and will surely give it a try.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about Bonine, but do yourself a favor and ask your Dr for a prescription for Transderm Scop patches. You'll never get sea sick again. These are a wonder drug.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at these as well. Do you start them a day before you leave? Did you have any side effects?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bonine woks best for me - although surely not 100%, the patches made me dizzy

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different seasickness remedies work for different people.

When you are very prone to seasickness , medication is most effective when taken 12 hrs or so before the trip & then again when you wake up the morning of the trip.

As your body gets used to the motion you can reduce the amount of medication slowly each day.
With repetitive & regular exposure to the motion most people can progressively reduce medication to Nil.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the Bonine. I'll be sure to post a fishing report and how the medicine worked.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason, good luck. I haven't been on the ocean for years because of this. Wretching so hard and so long I would be sore for days. Tried Dramamine and Bonine to no avail -- but they may work great for you. I have the transdermal scopalomine patch and hope to try it one of these days. Have also heard ginger can help. One thing you don't want to do is troll with the wind and a two-stroke engine; the fumes make it much worse.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill! We are off to Mexico next week!

I do not understand it. I used to go out in my small boat, on a rough lake, and never have any sickness. However, the ocean is different!. Plus, I realize the waves are usually bigger!

We reserved a 40' boat. I hope the water is calm.

I am hearing the fishing is good! This trip is for my son's high school graduation. He also was able to graduate with his 2 year associate degree, taking the classes in high school. He has worked really hard and I am more excited to see him enjoy the trip than me getting sick. I will just have to tough it out for a day!

I swore that I would never fish the ocean again, after my last trip! Oh well, so much for promises lol...

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I have looked at these as well. Do you start them a day before you leave? Did you have any side effects?

Thanks

I'm a constant sea sicker and get sick every trip. That's why I went submarines when I was in the Navy.

The Scopolamine patches make me sleepy and if I allow it I would sleep 20 hours a day with them.
I experimented with cutting the patch in half and it worked a lot better for me, even on the 8-10 day long range trips out of San Diego. I change them every three days and have no problem unless it's a "Victory at Sea" trip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DenisB:
Different seasickness remedies work for different people.

When you are very prone to seasickness , medication is most effective when taken 12 hrs or so before the trip & then again when you wake up the morning of the trip.

A big +1.

I've taken a lot of people off-shore over the years. My experience has been that Bonine is more effective and with fewer side effects than Dramamine for most people. One Bonine tablet the night before the trip and another in the morning before you head out. Sip on Ginger Ale and nibble on saltines or vanilla wafers. Take it easy on food and especially beer/booze.

Have fun and give us a fishing report when you get back.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just returned.

We upgraded to a 10 hour trip and took
the medication one hour before, as directed
on the box.

It worked! However, we slept about 5 hours of
the trip! It about knocked us out. It said
to take 1-2 pills. Me and my wife took two, my son took 1. He got nauseous for a few minutes and that was it. Me and my wife were not sick at all. However, we were dead tired for the whole day!

Fishing was slow. Caught about 10 bonita's and my son caught an 8 foot sailfish. We did lose a marlin.

Seeng my son catch the sailfish made the whole trip worth it! I'd post the pick if I had more dedication and a higher IQ! I'd be glad to email it, if someone was interested in posting it.

Thanks again for the advice! I've decided I may be able to fish in the future!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the record, about 50% of the guys doing long range trips out of Sand Diego are using the patches. All of them put on the patches some reasonable time before boarding. I'm fortunate enough not to get sea sick except under the very worst conditions, and then I keep to my bunk until the queasiness goes away.

Also, it's helpful to test your sea sickness remedy on a 1/2 or 3/4 day boat before you go on the overnighter or multi-day trip. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen suffer horribly on overnight trips, guys who had obviously never spent the night offshore before.

Do yourself a favor and do your seasickness testing on short trips. The boat isn't going to stop for you on the long trips, and a trip to fishing paradise may well feel like a trip to hell.

There's no shame in medication; truly half of the most hard core fishing guys I know use the patches.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
We upgraded to a 10 hour trip and took the medication one hour before, as directed on the box.

What medication did you take?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
We upgraded to a 10 hour trip and took the medication one hour before, as directed on the box.

What medication did you take?

Bonine

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend the transderm scop patches I use a half and am pretty immune to seasickness with no noticeable side effects.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to sell Transderm Scop for 5 years. You need to put it on at least two days before the trip. You will attenuate to the drowsiness. It beats chumming the entire trip!

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Transderm Scop patch, and never been seasick. I've never seen anyone get seasick that was wearing a patch.

They don't make me drowsy. To be honest, I don't even notice that I have it on. We put the patch on the night before the trip. Works great for us.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What works for me and most of my clients is 24 hours before your trip,take one Bonine and one Zantac 150. The morning of your trip, avoid citrus drinks (acid) or greasy foods. Take another bonine & Zantac before you set foot on the boat. Try to avoid breathing diesel fumes if possible. The patch works for some but as mentioned, put it on at least 24 hours before you go. Congrats on you making the trip and your sons Sail.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that this is an old thread but I decided to bring it back. We returned to PV and had an amazing trip. Great price and the fishing was outstanding!

I'd post pic's if I knew how. I guess I better learn.

We reduced our dosage (bonine) and did great. Best fishing trip by far!

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting, great info for us "sea sick" guys !

Well done on the Sail fish !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sarg. I wish I could remember the fish we caught on this last trip. The were similar to the yellow fin tuna. We propbably caught 15 of them in just a few hours. If I remember right, they were 15 kilo range...