Find
Notify
Tools

River Monsters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted
Got to see the show last night for the first time.Fishing for Nile perch in the Rift valley.It was a pretty good show.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Matt,
That is a good watchable outdoor show, I never miss it. I'm doing the Amazon in January, will try for some of those big lau lau catfish.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3312 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Goliath Tigerfish episode on the Congo River(?)was pretty cool.....that is one bad ass fish.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the show but wish he would tone down the melodrama and show more fish.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...agreed...I was on the river assisting with this show and with Zeb Hogans show highlighting the plight of Nile Perch and the risk there is to fish generally in teh Nile river system due to massive overfishing on the lakes and unprotected areas of the river. jeremy Wade goes a little too much for teh whole drama...hey...africa is exciting enough, especially if you hook one of these big babies...why load it??

Live to Fish, Hunt to Live

Posts: 44 | Location: Uganda | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Has he done noodling in the South yet?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:

WTF is noodling in the South? bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks from the southern USA could provide the finer points, but it involves shallow waters that hold catfish.The guys doing this have set up boxes or pens for the fish to hold in, similar to a tree stump in flooded timber areas. They then quietly come up to one of these spots and stick their hand in, trying to grab the catfish by the bottom jaw. Pulling out a little one looks like fun, pulling out a pissed off 40+ lb... not so much. I've seen it on TV a few times..there many things on my "to do list" for traveling, but that's not one of them!

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wsquared:
.there many things on my "to do list" for traveling, but that's not one of them!

I think I'd agree with that...... thanks for the translation! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My teen-aged fishing-fanatic son loves that show. I suppose there are worse things he could be doing with his time.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noodling in TX is about to be legalized... it has been made somewhat safer by folks realizing you can "plant" culverts, empty drums and such in shallow areas of lakes and the cats will use them. Noodling used to be done by finding cutbacks and washouts along the edges of creeks and rivers, feeling for a fish and then getting it to open its mouth. You reached in and typically grabbed gills, and the fight was on... Problem with that way of doing it is that alligator snapping turtles and cottonmouth moccasins like hanging out in those washouts, too! More than a few "noodlers" lost fingers when a snapper decided those wiggling digits were edible...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
you forgot to mention the alligator laying in front of the cover or structure. My understanding is the gators don't like being walked on.

There is not enough alcohol in the world to get me to try 'noodlin',

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:

WTF is noodling in the South? bewildered

Just for Shakari:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biL-QcviQGk

Go have a look.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote