Find
Notify
Tools

Dorado & Rooster Fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
Where in the world would you go for the best Dorado and Rooster fishing??? Thanks

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
Where in the world would you go for the best Dorado and Rooster fishing??? Thanks

La Paz to Loreto from now til august.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Agree. I had a very nice trip to Punta Colorado.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't eat the food or drink the water. VERY risky.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Quality Roosters and other mixed bag Nortwest and Southwest Costa Rica is excellent.
Look at El Ocotal in NW Costa Rica and zancudolodge.com down in SouthWest Corner.
Zancudolodge is perfect for what you are looking for. I have found the Roosters to be larger here than in Mexico.
May to July are excellent but Dorado gets better as rainy season starts and debris flushes out concentrating them
Yellow fin and wahoo are also in the mix there too

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
Don't eat the food or drink the water. VERY risky.

isn't it hard to enjoy a trip when you can't eat or drink?? I have caught plenty of both in SW Costa Rica( Crocodile Bay resort to be exact)....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Drink from bottles you open or watch opened. Be wary of ice. It's better to get a cold bottle. Almost anything cooked well served sizzling, too hot to bite, or steaming hot is fine. It's only safe cooled if you watched it well cooked before it went on the plate or in your hand.

Watch out for ceviche that is made with fish that have not been frozen for at least 24 hours. The majority, over 70%, of fish off the central and north american west coast have parasites. I read the scientific papers myself! Deep freezing kills the parasites. Contrary to what some believe, lime juice will not kill the parasites.

Also be wary of fresh vegetables, even if they are washed. Cooked vegetables and fruits in a skin or peel are usually safe bets.

Wash your hands with lots of hot soapy water before eating things with them.

This applies to most places in the world where clean water and good hygiene is wanting.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guatemala is great as in Casa Viejo Lodge. Fished there 3 days in March. Besides a good quantity of the species you mentioned also caught and "released" 32 Sailfish and a 350# Blue Marlin. No Sailfish were killed, so no pictures of dead ones available as per other posts on here. PM me if you want a little more info fellow New Mexican.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Dorado in the Sea of Cortez has been way off for the last two years, hopefully only do to El Nino and not overfishing.

Go to Costa Rica or Guatemala.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote