The Accurate Reloading Forums
Fishing Story Contest

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7221043/m/198104511

01 February 2004, 14:27
HenryC470
Fishing Story Contest
Tell your best true fishing story here. It can be your fish or somebody else's. Salt or fresh water.

H. C.
02 February 2004, 07:23
RMiller
In 97 my brother came up to Alaska to stay the summer with me. We took a trip to homer to fish for halibut and salmon. It was may 24 and we were fishing in my 12.5 foot zodiak inflatable.

We went full throttle for 20 min and then I stopped the motor and asked my bro where he wanted to fish. He pointed to a spot a hundred yards off so I motored over and dropped anchor. I told him I think we will get into something big.

I dropped my line and caught a fish right away which annoyed my bro because I had wipped him pretty good the weekend before fishing the same way.

When he dropped his line he had a nibble and yanked back and had nothing. So now he is getting hot because that is why I had whipped him before is because he kept missing his strikes. He lowered his rod and had another nibble and I told him to wait to set the hook when the rod actually bends a little. The rod bent down had he yanked back and set the hook INTO A WOPPER.

The rod doubled over and his drag started to whine. By the Time I could lift the anchor off the bottom my bro was saying he could see the bottom of his spool on his reel.

Three hours later we got the fish to the boat and some 20 guage #6's between the eyes of the halibut we had our fish.

It took an hour to get back to shore cause the tide had carried us a long way out the inlet. Put the fish in the truck and drove to an anchor point tackle shop and we had the fish weighed in at 136# . Caught on an 8'6" lamiglas kenia special rod and 20# test trilene XL.

My bro whipped me pretty good that trip but that was fine by me.
02 February 2004, 07:28
jpb
Once while fishing in the Northwest Territory of Canada, I caught a Northern Pike that was really big.

I won't say how heavy it was because you might not believe me, but I will reveal that the picture weighed 2 pounds!

jpb
02 February 2004, 07:40
RMiller
How big was it?

Our state record is 38# and I know they get lots bigger.

04 February 2004, 07:38
alvinmack
Very interesting story. I was in Homer 2 years ago. Beautiful place! I would venture to guess that you couldnt have been too far from the Homer spit because that was one small boat you were in.

-Mike
04 February 2004, 20:07
derf
When I was just a kid back in the prairies my maternal grandfather had a cottage at a place called Netley in Manitoba. One day on a short fishing trip I tied into a 3 or 4 pound Channel Cat. After fighting it to a stand still I started to reel it into the boat when it seemed to get it's second wind and started scraping again. After another few minutes the fight abaitted and I hauled in my fish. You can imagine the surprise my dad and I got when we found 2 cats on a one hook line. The first fish was "fair hooked" and the second one was tangled up in the line. There was also an empty clam shell in the lines mess as well. Our neighbour at the cottage said they tasted great. It was many years later before I tried Catfish myself and I found out how much good eating I had missed. derf
08 February 2004, 10:46
DigitalDan
4+35 tied to a tarpon near Little Torch Key one afternoon. 7'+ female in April that was released. Took me 3 days to recover. Got 3 rolls of film out of the deal though, and some of the shots adorn the wall.
11 February 2004, 14:05
sidewinder
Around 20 yrs ago I was fishing off Ballard in puget sound. I hooked into a really nice king. It was really pealing off line and I was chasing in reverse. I really was'nt to worried about getting spooled...AT FIRST! That sucker was getting all my line. I thought the fish would stop runnin and I would get some line back. It did'nt. Before I could get the boat turned around and hall ass. It spooled me and broke me off. BUMMER! I went to the bait dock... respooled, and went back out. On my first drop after reeling back up I had hooked into some fishing line. I thought...NO WAY! I started pulling the line in by hand. I had caught my line with the fish still on it. Lucky for me my father in law was with me and he never replaces his line till he's down to about 10yds. I cut off his gear.Cut off some of the line the fish was on and got it tied on to my father in laws line. Faught that fish almost to the boat and he was laying on his side 30 yds or so out and some prick flew buy and cut him off. Looked to be around two feet from the dorsil to the tail. Nice fish...but, I guess it was'nt ment to be.

A friend of mine was out fishing with his girlfriend and she hooked into a nice king. 30lbs or so if I remember right. She got her pretty long blond hair tangled up in the reel. John hacked that hair off and they got that one. She said no when he asked her to marry him.
11 February 2004, 19:29
RMiller
I guess it was her or the fish.

Either way there is more where that one came from .

Better get out of here, if the wife sees this I'll be dogmeat.
09 March 2004, 14:40
bartsche
About 1993 or 94,Royal Star out of San Diego
I was bringing in a large WhaHoo and a marlin looked like he was trying to cleave it up. The fish was landed and clubed and the marlin just stayed there as if to say where is my dinner? Mean while there were 22 hook ups on marlin on the boat. I got down a bait stick with 20# test on it, hooked up a Sardine and all but hit the marlin in the head with the bait. The sun was at a bad angle and I asked the deck hand what happened to the sardine? He said the marlin had sucked it in and was waiting for another one. I took in my loose line and set the hook. The fish took out over 200yds. of line on the first run. I fought and brought to the boat two marlin on 20# test one right after the other and than grabed a 40# bait stick and fought two more to the boat. All the marlin were in the 100 lb or better class. This was all stand up and fight. The amount of Wah-hoo and Marlin brought to the boat that hot afternoon was unbelieveable. Only those who experience the wild antics of schooled marlin can even understand the happening. The wah-hoo was estimated to weigh 60 lbs. All the marlin were released. I was younger and stronger back then.roger