New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with weight of fish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On an outdoor show a guy landed an alligator gar, was 83 inches long and girth of 39 inches. Fish looked fat and healthy. could someone possibly take a close guess as what it might weigh?

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question...
It's easy to look up fish calculators and a Gar isn't in an exact category I see but given it's body style is pretty in line with Mackeral, barracuda, Muskies, pike, etc......
Calculation gives you 140#
I found another one that included Gar...it says 211#
He was big..you know that much for sure

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, from the picture and tv camera angle I was thinking right at 200lb. Thanks again.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Length x girth x girth/800. This formula says 157#

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3366 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Length x girth x girth/800. This formula says 157#

The formula varies by body type since they carry weight so differently throughout their length. One formula gave me a weight similar to this but gar carry girth pretty uniformly throughout their entire length. I'd say the 200#+ is pretty accurate from the formula that was specified for Gar.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we caught a gar that was a little over 7 feet long. I don't remember exactly, but I think 2 or 3 inches over 7' (86 to 86 inches).

We did not measure the girth, but it was huge.

It weighed about 215 pounds.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1282 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote