New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tigers in a lake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Want to catch a good tiger or two while hunting. Need total take down, and advice on lures. Understand wire is necessary.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about any lure that works on bass will work on tigers. That said, I've caught more on small four to six inch live tilapia than on lures or flies. For sure on the wire.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fished Lake Kariba after successful buffalo hunt with Corris Ferreira of Track-A-Hunt Safaris. Apprentice hunter Carl was crazy about fishing. Definitely need wire. Mepps has a new trolling spinner with a stinger hook for crawlers using wire that I would try. We fished a spinner with a strip of belly skin from the first tiger we caught to dress the hook. Fishing was slow in August but picked up in September as the water warmed. Also caught a 37# vundu (catfish) on the same spinner. Fly fishing was exciting but not as productive as spinners. Need wire on flys also. If you are fishing Kariba watch out for crocs because Kariba is really loaded with them. Don't let a hot bite distract you and don't all fish from the same side of the boat. Cabelas sells a Fish Gripper (poor man's Boca) that was invaluable.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fished tigers on the Zambezi a number of times. I used the same lures I used for peacocks in South America. I used 20# to 30# steel leaders. I never had them break that.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote