New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spinning Reel for Northerns/Muskies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get a heavy duty spinning outfit for mainly big northerns and the occasional musky. I bought a Loomis heavy weight travel rod and am looking for a reel to match with it. Is a Shimano 5000 series reel adequate? Suggestions appreciated?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sounds reasonable, not familiar with either but it looks like your rod is designed for 8-17 lb line and the Shimano SP5000FB has a max drag setting of 22 lb, should be a nice combination.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Pfleuger Supreme Spinning reel for the last few years. I've caught some 40" plus Northerns and a couple of musky. I use 40 Lb Power Pro and 100 lb Flurocarbon leader.
Model 8240MGX Ratio 6.2:1
Weight 9.7
Braid 280/14 Mono 230/10 I have a stiff 7 foot 2 piece Rod rated for 1 1/2 oz lures.

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to why you would be looking at spinning reels for that type of fishing.

I would (and do) use casting reels such as the Shimano Curado or Abu Garcia Revo.

In my mind the only value of a spinning reel up North is for Walleye and personally I hate to waste time with Walleye because of their lack of fight.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the newer up range Shimano spinning reels are fully capable of handling anything that swim, up to and including smaller( <250lb) blue marlin. they even make a series designed to target giant trevally ( well over 100lbs and probably the hardest fighting shallow fish out there) in shallow, coral loaded water. these reels ( and the associated rods designed for them) can apply up to 45-50lbs of drag.. just saying. for those who think that spinning reels are light tackle- not anymore.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
I am curious as to why you would be looking at spinning reels for that type of fishing.

In my mind the only value of a spinning reel up North is for Walleye

We've used spinning tackle for big Pike for years.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote