Find
Notify
Tools

Big Fish Stories Getting Littler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Big Fish Stories Getting Littler

(I was going to post the article here, but you really need to go the the website so you can see the pictures with the text. Interesting read.)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The first photo is of grouper and the last of snapper. Hardly seems "scientific" to compare their size.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
not to mention the fact that Jew fish( Warsaw groupers) have been illegal to keep for many years. the 4th picture is of a bunch of African Pompano and permit which are NOT bottom fish as are the groupers, thus are fished for and targeted differently, as are the many snappers shown in the other pictures. the whole link is a rather pathetic example of taking pictures out of context.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the message from the pictures is that the average catch is not what it used to be. The original catches were of groupers and now snappers because of population declines. Just look at the common fishes you see at restaurants and markets now compared to the times these pics were taken.

I'm no expert on ocean species, but perhaps it is illegal to keep them cause of the over harvest of previous generations? And because of these lower populations and the fact they are no longer legal to keep, maybe it has created a neccessity to target "lesser" species of fish as the article points out?

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
While I don't disagree with Peter's observation, I cry bullshit on the article. There is nothing scientific about it. Typical misleading liberal bullshit.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote