Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Kid Fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted
Every year our local Charter Boat Assoc. does one better. We actually take the whole 6th grade fishing. We are trying to get more kids involved in the outdoors. The kids actually raise 40,000 salmon fry in the classroom. After they are old enough, we let the go in the river hoping they will return in 4 years to spawn. The reward for the kids is a day away from school and a day on Lake Michigan.

Yesterday was the day. The weather really cooperated also. I had three 12 year old boys with me. Fishing was a little tough, but we held our own. The boys did real well fighting the fish. We only lost one, a big steelhead that put a acrobat show for the kids.We did manage to land 5 King salmon and 1 Lake trout in 3 hours of fishing.

All the boats together caught 98 fish. Not a bad day away from work and school. Hopefully these kids will remember this day.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
Every year our local Charter Boat Assoc. does one better. We actually take the whole 6th grade fishing. We are trying to get more kids involved in the outdoors. The kids actually raise 40,000 salmon fry in the classroom. After they are old enough, we let the go in the river hoping they will return in 4 years to spawn. The reward for the kids is a day away from school and a day on Lake Michigan.

Yesterday was the day. The weather really cooperated also. I had three 12 year old boys with me. Fishing was a little tough, but we held our own. The boys did real well fighting the fish. We only lost one, a big steelhead that put a acrobat show for the kids.We did manage to land 5 King salmon and 1 Lake trout in 3 hours of fishing.

All the boats together caught 98 fish. Not a bad day away from work and school. Hopefully these kids will remember this day.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice catch Chris

I bet you had some happy kids on board
No school and lots of fish Smiler

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
deleted