Find
Notify
Tools

Beep! Beeeep!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
This was a surprise on the front porch rail today.

Window screen distortion.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What part of the world has that type of vegetation and . . . AND Roadrunners?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
What part of the world has that type of vegetation and . . . AND Roadrunners?

Apparently SW Missouri. Roadrunners are not especially common here but I do see them now and then along the roads where there are overgrazed cattle pastures. Never had one on my place before.

It won't stay. My front field is long grass prairie. They prefer more open range.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I don't think they are "common" anywhere.
Never know, they may find plenty to eat in what must be a natural prairie grass field.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Interesting Ann. I wouldn't have pictured roadrunners in MO.

quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I don't think they are "common" anywhere.
Never know, they may find plenty to eat in what must be a natural prairie grass field.

Lots of them running around here. We get them passing through the backyard regularly. Some even stick around, though I prefer they move along and leave the lizards and baby quail alone.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We have them here in Nevada. I've had them on top of my block walls and in my backyard many times over the years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one that visited has not returned but I recently saw one crossing the road at a nearby dairy farm.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
At a distance they look quite grey but up close their feathers are quite colorful. I have been watching them over the years on my property here. They have a tendency to put their nests close to human habitation (smart move to keep predators away). I have watched a particular pair over the years where they nested behind my shop. They had one nest that they BOTH took care of. They had a routine of jumping from one limb to the next to achieve the crest of my shop, then had all the sight of the world. They will walk the ridge + scope out any food to be found, be it a snake, centipede, whatever. Like ALL nature's creatures, they all have a place in the big picture. I just found it impressive as I had no previous knowledge of the species. At the risk of sounding like something out of "Animal House", knowledge is good!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How cool! I didn't picture them as being close living to human habitation.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, a really smart move on their part as the predators will not. Also the alteration of the pair on setting/ guarding the nest. Neat animals.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Would never have guessed you had them in Missouri, Ann. Plenty here in the New Mexico desert, of course. Any day I see a roadrunner I count as a good day. They are just so darned likable. Only member of the cuckoo family in North America, I believe.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, it was a surprise to me they are here too. There can be some serious winter weather at times in SWMO. I reckon they survive on small rodents for the cold months.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to see roadrunners at North Ft Polk, Louisiana which is about the only good thing I can say about the place. Neat birds!

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect roadrunners are hard on baby quail. A couple of years ago I was walking to the mail box when out in the sagebrush I heard a real commotion coming my way. About ten feet from me a roadrunner appeared with a baby quail in it's mouth, with three adult quail in hot pursuit. The quail caught the roadrunner and proceeded to flail away. At some point the roadrunner spit out the baby who was still alive, but had either a kinked or broken wing. Two of the quail broke off the engagement, but I saw one still chasing the roadrunner about 25 yards away when they crossed a paved street. Certainly one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed in nature. I would have never expected that kind of collective defense to be put up by quail.

Posts: 721 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do kill a lot of quail. That must have been a sight to see.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one of PO Ackleys reloading book there was a story about an Arizona game warden.
He was talking to a hunter on the edge of the road. The hunter said he had got his limit of pheasant or grouse, some game bird. The warden thought it strange, as there was very few that year. When he asked to see them, the hunter opened his trunk and showed him his bag limit of ... roadrunners. The warden said as there was no protection on them at the time, he bade the hunter "good job" and went on his way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as much as I have always enjoyed quail hunting, in the 80s we had an infestation of fire ants here in central Texas + as the quail clutch on the ground, they were almost eradicated down here, so I don't hunt them anymore. I have no problems killing fire ants though. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I see them several times each month in Ft. smith AR area. They like fence rows between roads and pastures. Lots of lizards here, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Testing to see if posting has started working again

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've seen them in Las Vegas Wetlands Park

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do yearn for the days when the quail population will be huntable again. I do miss that heart stopping feeling when they flush underfoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had quail on my property. I have seen them locally in the past but it has been years now. I have had woodcock raise broods here near my spring.

The local turkey populations are seriously down as well. I haven't seen any in person this year, never heard a tom gobble on the property this past spring and only had one on camera so far this year.

Too many predators for all upland birds anymore. I am the only one who traps out here because of my fowl. Sad situation.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saw this one a while back. All things come to him who waits ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLspcdm0Bs&t=5s

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard that a roadrunner will keep a snake out in the hot sun until it becomes lethargic and easy pickings. Maybe a rural legend???

Posts: 721 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They come through our back yard regularly, hunting lizards...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far that has been the one and only road runner that I have seen on my spread. There is not a lot of them here. Cool birds.

~Ann