Find
Notify
Tools

Black capped chickadee nest
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Cleaned out the bluebird house that black capped chickadee used late last month and abandoned after fledging the babies a couple weeks ago.

One of the super tiny eggs didn't hatch. Typical chickadee egg, white with reddish spots.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19301 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Cool. One of my favorite birds, we have them like mad out here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have lots here, year around, but I've never found a nest. Must have one heck of a metabolism rate to survive in our cold winters.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really neat little birds we have a few make it down to north Texas some winters.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
We have a nest in the planter next to the door of my shop. The eggs just hatched so at least once a day I stick my face in there for a look. The female just sits there looking back up at me without moving.

As long as I don't make too much noise they pretty much go about their business. One of there favorite hunting spots is the spider webs in our carport. They keep it pretty clean.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They have a huge natural range. Randall, you might just have some that are in the lower end of their range. They are not known to really migrate.

You also have a very similar looking bird in the South and Texas called the Carolina Chickadee.

Black Capped

Carolina

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They survive northern winters because like nutcrackers they have food caches.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
In the winter several move into our carport. My wife feels sorry for them so she built small boxes that they nest in.

Nice thing is they clean out all the spider webs in the rafters!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Neat. Our state bird (MA).

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote