Find
Notify
Tools

Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Some photos taken earlier this week on a motorcycle tour through the park. Spectacular scenery. Cool

Icefields Parkway

Athabasca Glacier, Columbia Icefields

Lac Beauvert

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lora and I went thru there in August of 2000, wished we would have had more time. Thanks for posting those pictures.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
A world class destination, the glacial jewel of the Rockies. Photos taken earlier this week along Maligne Lake including the renowned scenic vista of Spirit Island. The views are currently being obscured by smoke from the wildfires raging in British Columbia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, luckily not as developed as Banff yet, but they're working on that. Had to have a Grand Canyon style Skywalk at the Columbia Icefields.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
An advantage of being more remote. Jasper townsite is about 400 km from the major Alberta cities of Calgary and Edmonton. They had the foresight to limit access to the Glacier Skywalk by bus only from the Icefields Centre to mitigate environmental impact. Skywalk design and construction is a formidable engineering challenge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember exactly where in the park it was, but when I went through there a number of years ago I saw a lot of wild sheep down by the highway.

Did you see any sheep?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Jasper National Park is excellent for viewing wildlife. Bighorn Sheep and Elk are quite commonly seen. Bear sightings aren't uncommon either.

Here's a photo of Bighorn Sheep we saw on Highway 93A, and a video of Elk we saw in Jasper townsite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFV9JTR9yA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tent camped there two summers ago, in one campground. Then took some time to enjoy the scenery before heading west through Prince George and up the Cassiar Hwy.

I noticed lots of beetle killed trees.

I plan to make the trip again in June, and back again in Early September, but I'll probably try to stay overnight elsewhere. I don't yet know if I'll be tent camping or not.

Several years ago I tent camped in the park in September, and the elk made such a ruckus all night that I got little sleep.

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19552 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Along the Athabasca River including Athabasca Falls, late April last year. Cool

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Today - Cavell Lake and Mount Edith Cavell. In all its splendor.

Cow Elk grazing -

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Today - Bull Elk, Athabasca River -

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Today -

Talbot Lake

Talbot Lake Northern Pike

Pyramid Mountain & Lac Beauvert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice photos. I drive through there about 4-6 times per year on the way to and from our bush camp. It's too easy to take such a privilege for granted. Love that part of our wonderful country.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Taking a break today from all of the news and COVID nonsense and came across these! Beautiful! tu2

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Nearby scene last week.